Shiki/SHIKI? (spoilers)

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Shiki/SHIKI? (spoilers)

Unread postby Amayirot Akago » November 28th, 2007, 1:12 pm

I've been wondering for a while now: the difference between the two Shiki's (the adopted one and the evil one) is that the evil one's name is consistently written in caps, but how was this portrayed in the original Japanese? For example, was one name written in kanji, the other in katakana?
Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
Visual Novel connoisseur
Tsukihime fanatic till death... and beyond
Amayirot Akago
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Henduluin » November 28th, 2007, 1:55 pm

From what I recall reading, both names were written using different kanji.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby miszou » November 28th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Only the sounds are the same, so the kanji differ and have different meanings

In the scene where they carved their names, SHIKI carved his name not using kanji, that's why shiki didn't recognized he didn't carved them (that's also why he said something like that me must have really wanted to win to just put his name in kana. If i remember correctly of course :) )
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » November 28th, 2007, 4:22 pm

miszou wrote:Only the sounds are the same, so the kanji differ and have different meanings

In the scene where they carved their names, SHIKI carved his name not using kanji, that's why shiki didn't recognized he didn't carved them (that's also why he said something like that me must have really wanted to win to just put his name in kana. If i remember correctly of course :) )

Our Shiki: 志貴
Vampire Shiki (real): 四季
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Shintis » November 30th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Honorable Intention
and
Four Seasons

Are the literal translations...I think (I'm not a kanji expert)
Shintis
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Einherjar » December 1st, 2007, 4:13 am

Shintis wrote:Honorable Intention
and
Four Seasons

Are the literal translations...I think (I'm not a kanji expert)

Honorable Intention is a bit off I think, but you're there.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Silverman » December 1st, 2007, 6:35 pm

Einherjar wrote:Our Shiki: 志貴

I personally don't think this name could mean anything, I may be wrong though.
I don't really think we should come up with a meaning for the names since it is just a name and it would sound akward if we intend to explain what does the name mean.
Let's say give the name "Silverman" a meaning, someone made of silver? Heck no :) .
Silverman
Addict

Unread postby Einherjar » December 1st, 2007, 6:36 pm

Silverman wrote:
Einherjar wrote:Our Shiki: 志貴

I personally don't think this name could mean anything, I may be wrong though.
I don't really think we should come up with a meaning for the names since it is just a name and it would sound akward if we intend to explain what does the name mean.
Let's say give the name "Silverman" a meaning, someone made of silver? Heck no :) .

He's just trying to get the meaning of each character. And yes, the word doesn't really have a meaning I think.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 2nd, 2007, 12:26 pm

Silverman wrote:I personally don't think this name could mean anything, I may be wrong though.

It's a bit different to the western style of naming, but when naming a child, the Japanese do tend to take into account the meaning of the characters and choose ones with interesting or good meanings when they choose them. As an example, my host sister is named Momoka, which is normally written 桃香, meaning fragrance of peach. However, as my host mother decided that was a boring meaning, she changed the characters to 百香, meaning 100 fragrances. So, thinking in that frame of mind, when reading someone's name in Japanese they read the meaning too. It doesn't change anything, but it's still taken into account. Western names aren't so explicit in their meaning, and it's weird to us to attach a meaning to it (a cookie to the person who guesses my name from the meaning - open land), whereas according to what my host family explained to me, it's really weird to a Japanese to not know the meaning of another person's name. Just my two cents on that point, which has virtually no relevance to this discussion.
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby serialies » December 2nd, 2007, 2:51 pm

@ blue gunner: Hisano? (i know its a feminine name but...closest thing i could find)

also what you wrote was somewhat enlightening...
I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member. Man, I don't know how I get away with it.
serialies
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Silverman » December 2nd, 2007, 5:55 pm

Blue Gunner wrote:It's a bit different to the western style of naming, but when naming a child, the Japanese do tend to take into account the meaning of the characters and choose ones with interesting or good meanings when they choose them. As an example, my host sister is named Momoka, which is normally written 桃香, meaning fragrance of peach. However, as my host mother decided that was a boring meaning, she changed the characters to 百香, meaning 100 fragrances. So, thinking in that frame of mind, when reading someone's name in Japanese they read the meaning too. It doesn't change anything, but it's still taken into account. Western names aren't so explicit in their meaning, and it's weird to us to attach a meaning to it (a cookie to the person who guesses my name from the meaning - open land), whereas according to what my host family explained to me, it's really weird to a Japanese to not know the meaning of another person's name. Just my two cents on that point, which has virtually no relevance to this discussion.

Yeah, maybe you're right, but nobody ever asked me what my real name meant :shock:
Maybe they are just too lazy to ask, I've never thought about there should be a meaning to our name.
P.S.: You make me feel shame about being an Asian and not knowing our name should have a meaning to it :(
Silverman
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » December 3rd, 2007, 6:11 am

Silverman wrote:P.S.: You make me feel shame about being an Asian and not knowing our name should have a meaning to it :(

Well, most new generation Asian migrants don't know a lot of their native language, take me for one. A Chinese person recently joined my school, and he's got some experience in reading Chinese (of course). I've always thought my name sounded weird, as it sounds like 'stupid' in Cantonese (it's pronounced in Mandarin), but my friend told me the characters to my Chinese name stands for a "Legend of Heroes". I think that means someone that's a legend among heroes :o , so not I love my name more that I ever would've.

Well, what I could bring forth from this is that names given to someone usually are thought out and have a deep meaning (well, Asian names at least), even if you don't know it.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 3rd, 2007, 11:18 am

serialies wrote:@ blue gunner: Hisano? (i know its a feminine name but...closest thing i could find)

Heh, not quite. Although my name is Asian sounding, it isn't Japanese. It's good to know that people found what I wrote interesting ^^

On an aside, there are Japanese people with names that have no meaning as well... names written in hiragana/katakana (phonetic characters), which are more common than I thought. There's a number of people in the class next door to mine that don't have kanji for their first names (Japanese last names always have them. At least, as far as I've seen), but this is usually due to special circumstances. Ah, the difficulty of Chinese characters.. ^^;
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » December 3rd, 2007, 11:41 am

Blue Gunner wrote:
serialies wrote:@ blue gunner: Hisano? (i know its a feminine name but...closest thing i could find)

Heh, not quite. Although my name is Asian sounding, it isn't Japanese. It's good to know that people found what I wrote interesting ^^

On an aside, there are Japanese people with names that have no meaning as well... names written in hiragana/katakana (phonetic characters), which are more common than I thought. There's a number of people in the class next door to mine that don't have kanji for their first names (Japanese last names always have them. At least, as far as I've seen), but this is usually due to special circumstances. Ah, the difficulty of Chinese characters.. ^^;

Well I think another example could be Nanona Takamachi's first name, which is spelt simply なのは, if i'm not mistaken

.... actually could someone explain why 'nanoha' translates to リリカル with the google translations? I guess I'm wrong about something
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby serialies » December 3rd, 2007, 12:04 pm

um...well in Aus alot of people generally know the meaning of their name...where i live anyway XD and seriously...asians try to drill the meaning of your name into your head if you dont know it T_T (my chinese name is "universe walker" or "Traveling the universe"...dont know why though XD)

and damn...i wanted that cookie :?
I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member. Man, I don't know how I get away with it.
serialies
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » December 3rd, 2007, 12:28 pm

serialies wrote:um...well in Aus alot of people generally know the meaning of their name...where i live anyway XD and seriously...asians try to drill the meaning of your name into your head if you dont know it T_T (my chinese name is "universe walker" or "Traveling the universe"...dont know why though XD)

and damn...i wanted that cookie :?

I'm pretty sure there are some English names that don't have any meaning associated with it, such as.... Well ok, if you go to some website and type in a name they'll have a meaning for it, BUT you have to agree that some are just plain bull. A cookie and a HALF for someone who can guess my name from my username, Jin. It's pretty loosely translated, but it sounds better as Jin rather than others that could be it. ^ ^.

Btw serialies, you can still get that cookie from Blue.
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby serialies » December 3rd, 2007, 2:30 pm

i dont see how a meaning can be bull XD, unless on one site it says "andrew" means "destroyer of twenty six doughnuts"...then yes that would be bs (as in the site is bsing).

oh and would your name happen to be Chin :P

(blue's cookie is probably stale by now =/)
serialies
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Naota » December 3rd, 2007, 9:35 pm

Aside from the meanings for English names that are a rather arbitrary stretch, you do have a few that are literally written to stand for something. For example; Zevenhuizen, literally meaning seven houses (also a town or two in the Netherlands). Then again, that's hardly English anyway XD. Kinda makes me curious what that would translate to, actually... And how horribly it would be skewed if anyone tried to speak it in 'Engrish'.
"They marched onwards, fire against earth, bodies piling ever higher for the whims of rival demons, content in their game. The masses never questioned their intent nor knew their masters, serving Hell more than Heaven in their madness. For madness went unchallenged here, and the great machine of many faces, skins, and thoughts continued to turn in silence."
Naota
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Silverman » December 4th, 2007, 12:16 am

-[J1N]- wrote:Well, most new generation Asian migrants don't know a lot of their native language, take me for one.

Well actually, I'm born in Asia and have been speaking Chinese for most of my lifetime.
Silverman
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » December 4th, 2007, 4:59 am

Silverman wrote:
-[J1N]- wrote:Well, most new generation Asian migrants don't know a lot of their native language, take me for one.

Well actually, I'm born in Asia and have been speaking Chinese for most of my lifetime.

Ahh sorry, I didn't make it clear. I was referring to new gen Aussie Asians
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to Tsukihime Chat