Shiki/SHIKI? (spoilers)

Caution: Flying pans at low altitude.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Maes » December 4th, 2007, 7:46 am

-[J1N]- wrote:.... actually could someone explain why 'nanoha' translates to リリカル with the google translations? I guess I'm wrong about something

I'm going to guess that whatever the google translator uses is... flawed... a lot when it comes to that translation. If I'm not mystaken, "リリカル" romanized is ririkaru, or lyrical, which is part of the title of the anime. That little bit is why I don't like using automated translators, they tend to be very wrong sometimes.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » December 4th, 2007, 11:15 am

Maes wrote:I'm going to guess that whatever the google translator uses is... flawed... a lot when it comes to that translation. If I'm not mystaken, "リリカル" romanized is ririkaru, or lyrical, which is part of the title of the anime. That little bit is why I don't like using automated translators, they tend to be very wrong sometimes.

The thing I was surprised about was why it came up as ririkaru out of everything else, because the whole title for the series is Mahou Shoujo Ririkaru Nanoha, I was wondering if there was a link between ririkaru and nanoha.

This has gone very off topic hasn't it? ^ ^"
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Silverman » December 4th, 2007, 11:51 pm

Maes wrote:I'm going to guess that whatever the google translator uses is... flawed... a lot when it comes to that translation. If I'm not mystaken, "リリカル" romanized is ririkaru, or lyrical, which is part of the title of the anime. That little bit is why I don't like using automated translators, they tend to be very wrong sometimes.

I only use online translators when I got no other choice but that, I was the victim of online translator when my friend was trying to use those to convert their words into Chinese and it messes everything up.
Silverman
Addict

Unread postby serialies » December 8th, 2007, 3:25 pm

seeing as its on the topic of language...

is "romaji" basically the japanese equivilant of pinyin?
I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member. Man, I don't know how I get away with it.
serialies
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Blue Gunner » December 9th, 2007, 1:31 am

From what I understand of pinyin, it's pretty much the same. The word 'romaji' simply means "Roman characters", and it's used to jazz up magazines and advertisements, as well as to aid learners of Japanese that haven't learnt the basic kana (hiragana and katakana). Also, seeing as Japanese keyboards are of roman characters, when typing in Japanese you type it in romaji first and change it to characters after. I assume typing Chinese is something similar?
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby Silverman » December 9th, 2007, 4:34 am

Blue Gunner wrote:From what I understand of pinyin, it's pretty much the same. The word 'romaji' simply means "Roman characters", and it's used to jazz up magazines and advertisements, as well as to aid learners of Japanese that haven't learnt the basic kana (hiragana and katakana). Also, seeing as Japanese keyboards are of roman characters, when typing in Japanese you type it in romaji first and change it to characters after. I assume typing Chinese is something similar?

I never learned pinyin, I was born in Taiwan and we use different system.
In Taiwan, they intend(?) mess up the name pretty bad in English, for example, a sbuway station could have different names at other stations, they just have a very messy way to romanize Chinese words.
I personally think pinyin is a pain for English speakers (I was the victim of pinyin.)

EDIT: In Taiwan, if they want to jazz up something, they'll use English words, or some other words could attract young people.
Silverman
Addict

Previous

Return to Tsukihime Chat