An introduction to MaW!2

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

An introduction to MaW!2

Unread postby Message » September 25th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Men at Work! 2 is an adult action/fantasy RPG styled visual novel, released by Studio e.go! in november 2000, featuring a 3D battle system and, in the plus version, full voices. The Voice Plus version (version 1.50) was originally released as a bonus on the Men at Work! 3 DVD, and has since been released once more on the Men at Work! 4 DVD featuring a huge overhaul to its 3D system (version 1.51).

A short history lesson for those who are unaware of the past struggles of this project:

• A long time ago, in a gal... Actually, I don't remember much about the earliest stages of this project. The game was first released in November 2000, so let's say it was started some time in 2001. Top50 and a handful of other French-speaking people got the idea that they could translate Men at Work! 2 to English. For about a year they updated their website with screenshots and progress reports, showing that the project was proceeding slow but steady.
  • 2002, spring : A demo movie is released showing approximately half of the prologue translated into English. It is still a work in progress, and it shows.
  • 2002-12-20 : The beginning of one of several one-year lack of website updates.
  • 2003-04-10 : In an unofficial capacity, Top50 states that he is waiting for the translation of a small number of scripts before he can announce 'huge news'. Having finished translating and subbing the opening movie, he hopes to be able to finish translation before the end of summer. The huge news never comes.
  • 2005, spring : The MaW!2 project website is defaced, never to be fixed again.
  • 2005, August : Top50 shows himself online again. The MaW!2 Translation Project decides to move to the Voice Plus version. TheXev talks TakaJun into helping with the translation, who quickly finishes the remaining scripts. Top50 disappears again.
  • 2006-07-17 : TheXev offers to take over the project. Arthur-san finds Top50 online and relays the information, Top50 agrees.
  • 2006-07-30 : Top50 hands over all project material to TheXev, who quickly decides that most of the work will have to be redone.
  • 2006, August : zalas and TheXev work on new insertion tools and hacking the game properly, BTAxis provides them with a new .dat tool for MaW!2 Plus. It is decided to drop support for the original MaW!2, as the Voice Plus edition is still for sale via MaW!4 (and possibly MaW!3) and it has many advantages over the original.
  • 2006, September : TakaJun agrees to retranslate approximately two thirds of the game.
Last edited by Message on March 5th, 2007, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Mystic_Truhan » September 26th, 2006, 4:29 am

I've been hanging out in the channel quite a bit lately, and I must say that I've gotten a bit excited about this one. Then I read this and my life was ruined :-( I still love you though :-)
Mystic_Truhan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Icez » March 5th, 2007, 3:26 am

I'm finding it hard to find any information about this game any where online. Do you have some links to screen shots or where to get the game?
- Icez
Icez
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Message » March 5th, 2007, 7:32 am

The URL for the official website has moved, you can now view it by going to the e-go website, clicking the image at the bottom, going to "Products" and then click the 8th title from the bottom. You will notice that Studio e-go! uses katakana for the title, instead of romanized text, which would be the reason why you couldn't find much info.

Unread postby Hyperbeast » March 7th, 2007, 6:14 pm

I haven't seen many RPG/Visual novel cross type games... But it doesn't look half bad.
Time to start saving, I guess.

Oh, and from the sounds of the last project... Good luck =P
Hyperbeast
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Icez » March 7th, 2007, 10:59 pm

looks pretty cool :)

If you have a PS2, Ar Tonelico is a cross RPG visual novel :)
- Icez
Icez
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby soup » March 8th, 2007, 12:37 pm

Is there a translated Men At work out there?
soup
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Message » March 8th, 2007, 3:54 pm

As far as we know, MaW!2 will be the first title in the series to be translated to English.

Unread postby Hyperbeast » March 8th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Icez wrote:looks pretty cool :)

I have Ar Tonelico. It's just an RPG, and well.... It's reminded me that I need to stop getting games by Nippon Ichi. Then again, I haven't played much of it so....

Off topic? I think so.
Hyperbeast
Crack Addic!

Unread postby soup » March 9th, 2007, 5:55 am

Message wrote:As far as we know, MaW!2 will be the first title in the series to be translated to English.

Ah ok, It's just that I thought that because number 2 was getting translated the first one must have been done. Oh well....
soup
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby gandruff » May 8th, 2008, 9:02 am

lo had a look at the screenshots, luks gud, reminds me of utawarerumono, prob cos the pics hav a similar style :D
gandruff
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Najica » May 21st, 2008, 11:58 am

you say its an Adult game, that means there is hentai in it right? =x
Najica
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TakaJun » May 22nd, 2008, 8:22 am

Najica wrote:you say its an Adult game, that means there is hentai in it right? =x

Of course! :D
TakaJun

Unread postby Najica » May 22nd, 2008, 3:39 pm

TakaJun wrote:
Najica wrote:you say its an Adult game, that means there is hentai in it right? =x

Of course! :D

damn D:
i wanted to download it since it look alot like final fantasy and looks like one of those kind of fighting game i like >_<
Possible to "jump over" the h-scenes like you can in typical visual novels?
Najica
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Einherjar » May 22nd, 2008, 4:04 pm

Icez wrote:looks pretty cool :)

Ar Tonelico. So much fanservice. How it got published by atlus and got Teen rating still keeps me up at night.

@Najica You can always disable pics in Games like these. I do that in other visual novels.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Najica » May 22nd, 2008, 5:35 pm

oh :o didnt know that
i guess i should ask my bro if i can download it then ^^ im sure he'll like it too :P
Najica
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Cat Megex » May 29th, 2008, 1:58 pm

So is there any plot relation between the different games in the series? Or is it like the Final Fantasy games?
Cat Megex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Phoenician » May 29th, 2008, 7:26 pm

knowing e.go, probably no relation
Phoenician
Addict

Unread postby Shintis » June 14th, 2008, 5:16 am

This visual novel looks intriguing to me....can;t be sure why. I like it's colors though.

A question. No complaints at all. But does anyone know why did the original team start with 2? Is the first game not as good/well-known/high quality?

It was funny. I thought there may not have been a first game cause the database didn't list it.
Shintis
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Phoenician » June 14th, 2008, 6:31 am

Shintis wrote:This visual novel looks intriguing to me....can;t be sure why. I like it's colors though.

A question. No complaints at all. But does anyone know why did the original team start with 2? Is the first game not as good/well-known/high quality?

It was funny. I thought there may not have been a first game cause the database didn't list it.

All of the games are on MaW4, and from what I've read, 2 has been updated the most (being made, then remade for 3, then remade for 4 I believe)
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives." A. Sachs
"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh." George Bernard Shaw
"Genius is born--not paid." Oscar Wilde
"Iron rusts from disuse; stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind." Leonardo Da Vinci
Phoenician
Addict

Next

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat