An introduction to MaW!2

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Message » June 15th, 2008, 6:45 am

There is a part 1, but we have no plans for that. At this point we don't have plans for 3&4 either, for that matter. But no, I don't think there was any specific reason why Top50 and co started with MaW!2. Probably just because it was still new, at the time...

Unread postby TheXev » June 15th, 2008, 11:16 am

...yes. At the time......
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby uriel » June 18th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Phoenician wrote:
Shintis wrote:This visual novel looks intriguing to me....can;t be sure why. I like it's colors though.

A question. No complaints at all. But does anyone know why did the original team start with 2? Is the first game not as good/well-known/high quality?

It was funny. I thought there may not have been a first game cause the database didn't list it.

All of the games are on MaW4, and from what I've read, 2 has been updated the most (being made, then remade for 3, then remade for 4 I believe)

Do you already know if the english patch will work with the maw!2 present in the dvd of maw!4?
"Someone said is better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, but that is a defeatistic attitude.
I won't reign only in hell"
uriel
Might just like this board

Unread postby Message » June 18th, 2008, 12:27 pm

uriel wrote:Do you already know if the english patch will work with the maw!2 present in the dvd of maw!4?

It should work with the MaW!4 DVD version and MaW!3 DVD version, but I'm no longer sure about the Voice Plus! CD version...

Unread postby TheXev » June 18th, 2008, 8:30 pm

There was a voice plus standalone?
Primarily the patch is being developed from MAW2 1.51 (MAW4 CD). It appears to work with 1.50 (MAW3), but I'm not sure if anyone has fully tested it for compatibility. 1.51 adds some rather nice shader effects to the water (DX9 req).

When I had my Radeon 9700 Pro, 1.51 ran much smoother then 1.50 did for me. I'm assuming the entire gfx engine was updated to ego's DX9 code.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Message » June 19th, 2008, 7:25 am

Hmm... I thought there was. Been a while though.

Unread postby X-Calibar » July 3rd, 2008, 3:25 am

I don't know enough about Men at Work! 2 to warrant the big price-tag... but knowing mirror moon was involved tells me it's good quality~
I found this on youtube, this must be the intro?
メンアットワーク2 op "ただ一つの物語"

EDIT: It sounds promising... I wonder how the plot is? Serious? Comical? Lots of RPG elements?
I think I'll wait/hope for somebody to review this :)
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby KaioShin » July 3rd, 2008, 8:32 am

X-Calibar wrote:EDIT: It sounds promising... I wonder how the plot is? Serious? Comical? Lots of RPG elements?
I think I'll wait/hope for somebody to review this :)

At least so far (I'm in chapter 3) it's very standard RPGish. You live in a Hunter Academy and every few days someone from the villiage comes with a job for you that involves clearing a small dungeon from slimes or ghosts. In between you chat with the ladies and try to build a relationship with them. Not really outstanding in the story department, but I guess the main draw point of this game is that it has RPG gameplay. If you'd remove that and get a normal VN it would be pretty shallow...
KaioShin
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby shirou12 » July 6th, 2008, 4:07 pm

im a bit confused with the MAW 2, 3 and 4. Does the story in MAW 2,3 and 4 are different? same? revised or watever? I just want to clarify that point if it is, because vndb states that MAW 3 is MAW 4's prequel and that wtf so on. 2nd, it is an eroge isnt it and it is also a RPG type gameplay or watsoever called it, since it has h scenes and watevers, does this game has a route also to follow like other games? is there a walkthrough in this incase? or is it just like utawarerumono who has only a specific fixed route? sorry if i ask too much, i just curious.
shirou12
Crack Addic!

Unread postby teiglin » July 7th, 2008, 7:52 am

It is eroge, and there are different routes. A couple Japanese walkthroughs have been posted in
this thread, there are game spoilers in there so be careful.

I haven't played other MAW games because of my lack of moon runes proficiency, but MAW4 disc comes with MAW2 and MAW3 on it as well. They are all different games with their own storyline.
teiglin
Might just like this board

Unread postby Phlebas » July 7th, 2008, 7:56 am

About the story of the other games, at least MaW 2 is a "direct" sequel to MaW 1 so might be the same with the other games - MaW 2 apparently follows the canonic ending of MaW 1 (the instructors at the academy are the main character from 1st game and his girl).
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby shirou12 » July 9th, 2008, 3:04 pm

so how many routes are there? tnx for answering btw/
shirou12
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Phlebas » July 9th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Five. Each can take from a couple of hours up to a day to play depending on your style.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Previous

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat