Aoi's path is leaving me frustrated...

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Balcerzak » November 16th, 2008, 7:57 pm

Hmm. I honestly don't know what's wrong then. I would guess it's some problem carrying over from an earlier chapter.
Did you?
1) Enter the hole, fight the rats, and pull the lever?
2) Decide not to antagonize Benjamin during the ghost haunting business
3) Have a water sprinkling conversation with Aoi in front of the gates during Chapter 2?
4) Talk to Aoi about Lucy during the Baby mission, and refuse to date Lucy?
5) Get all previously available Aoi conversations (some of which may require not ignoring the other girls)?

I know you said you're following the walkthrough, but to be honest, I never used it myself, and don't know/remember what all is included, but these are all of the things I can think of that may be important.

Since I remember how much of a pain in the ass it was to fight all the battles over and over again, if you're just plain frustrated at this point and don't want to bother trying to go back and figure everything out, I've uploaded a save at what should be the very beginning of chapter 3 Aoi route, right after the end of chapter 2. I have verified I can get the Aoi spiritual pump conversations from this file (which is what I used to make the basis of my comments the other day), and hopefully you should be able to as well. I can't guarantee that my method of stat raising, or training my characters will be compatible with your playstyle, but it's got to be better than nothing. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. ^^;;

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zbi2nxjjzcy
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby egbert314 » November 17th, 2008, 1:29 am

Yes, I made sure to do 1-4. As for 5, I'm not so sure. I rotated evenly between all the girls in the first two chapters, visiting everyone during the day and during the night. I also did the missions as soon as I could. That may have caused me to skip some conversations. Though my experiments showed that most, if not all, of the time, the number of conversations are set so that you can get all of them even if you rush through (this is for when you rotate between 3 girls, since otherwise you'll have to skip someone during a particular day).

I'll try your save file and see whether I can get the pump conversation. If I don't, then at least we've narrowed it down to something I did, or didn't do, in Chapter 3. Frankly, I would have been happy to get any save file of that point (even a blatantly hacked one). I really appreciate all the help you've given me so far! I know how hard it is to try to fix a problem you can't replicate.

Edit: I tried your save file and I can indeed get the spiritual pump discussion. So it must be something I did/didn't do in the previous chapters. I know it's been a while, but did you do
the Mouse Outbreak event where you had to search each room of the Academy
in Aoi's route? I did that every time, but it could turn out that you're not supposed to do it. It's either that or some discussion I missed by going too quickly.
egbert314
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Balcerzak » November 17th, 2008, 12:45 pm

egbert314 wrote:Edit: I tried your save file and I can indeed get the spiritual pump discussion. So it must be something I did/didn't do in the previous chapters. I know it's been a while, but did you do
the Mouse Outbreak event where you had to search each room of the Academy
in Aoi's route? I did that every time, but it could turn out that you're not supposed to do it. It's either that or some discussion I missed by going too quickly.

I honestly don't remember. This was back in the middle of August. I would have tried to avoid it, personally, but if I remember right, it's really easy to trigger, so I may have done so by accident. I can't see how it would have been a deal breaker either way though...

I could try to browse through some of the earlier saves I have of my Aoi route playthrough, but MaW didn't have any real convenient way of attaching comments to your saves so you know what exactly lined up with what, or what has been accomplished before, and I'd have no real guarantee that I was duplicating everything I did previously correctly. (This means I probably won't end up doing anything further to try to troubleshoot for you, to be perfectly honest, and considering you did manage to get the save I sent to work for you, that leads to even less reason.)

You may just have to stick with going forward from the save I've given, which if I recall already had Kitty's route completed as well as
the Mena+Kitty threesome scenes,
meaning after you finish Aoi's route, all you'll have left to work on is Sheryl's route (which sounds like pretty much where you'd have been game-wise if we had found out what the problem was and you were able to continue working off of your own saves).

---

And yeah, you're right, it really is pretty hard to troubleshoot something like this, especially when I never had the problem myself. If it was just straight choice picking like in FSN or Tsukihime it'd have been much easier to diagnose, or in the worst case scenario take advantage of skipping previously read text and doing an exhaustive check to figure out what might have gone wrong, but the rather free-flowing format of girl visiting in addition to the battling quests the game provides such a disincentive for my to even consider trying something of that nature.

The only other idea I have was that someone once mentioned that the characters you use in battle may have an effect on steering the route you end up on. I have no idea about the veracity of that statement, but were you using and leveling Aoi in your recent playthroughs where this became a problem?
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby egbert314 » November 17th, 2008, 10:56 pm

I highly doubt the characters you use in battle have an effect on steering the route. I've done like 1/2 of the routes using just Cliff, Lucy, and Aoi. In the 100% save, I did Sheryl's route without using her in battle at all, so it should have no bearing. As for whether using them in previous playthroughs would affect the route... I'm pretty sure only the force and equipment/items are transferred over in terms of character-related info.

I may eventually retry Chapters 1 and 2 again in some more different ways to find the root cause of my problem, but there's only so many times I can replay a mission before getting sick of it. :lol:
egbert314
Totally hardly posted

Re: Aoi's path is leaving me frustrated...

Unread postby ctyinglee » January 21st, 2010, 1:33 pm

for some reason i'm on aoi's path, ie right when they start dating, then i see the scene where windsor visit the church and talks about the three families, but for some reason the quest to find hana in the strawberry slime area doesn't trigger?
ctyinglee
Totally hardly posted

Re: Aoi's path is leaving me frustrated...

Unread postby Tetsamaru » April 14th, 2010, 6:37 am

Old board is old, but just thought i'd post here for anyone in the future.

If your still having trouble triggring the spirit Pump event.

then first.

If your at chapter 3 and cant activate it, its already too late.

Go back to chapter 2.

During this chapter, Take your time with everything. I noticed myself that i always went and did all the battle events as fast as i could. This made me miss alot of Aoi Conversations including Why she became an exorcist in the first place.

Theres no penalty for not doing a story battle even when the big glowing dot is telling you to go there. Simply put, just ignore advancing the story and just keep watching all of Aoi's events untill there is no more.

Its all over for you when you do the cemetary battle(Where you have to place 5 talasimans around the place) and you havent seen all of Aoi's events.

One thing to note is that A good portion of Aoi's events are centered around Sheryl. In order to activate those conversations you first have to Talk to Aoi and then your get

Cliff: Oh, are you going somewhere?
Aoi: yes i'm going to Sheryal-san's room.

You should do this about 2-3 times. This means 2-3 nights. Since Aoi takes a bath longer than the other girls. This means your have to talk to Aoi at 9 PM and then Sheryl at 10 PM ending the night.

I was pretty much doing all this after Aoi told me about the Cemetary, but i just ignored it. Which turned out to be the right decision.

And even after you do that, you should avoid going to the cemetary untill your sure you've seen all the bath conversations(Big bath) and individual Aoi Room conversations.

Once that's done, you can go ahead and do the cemetary battle. When Lucy gives you the "Crying voice in cave" mission. You can go ignore that too and try to accomplish every Aoi events that might have opened up.

Once your sure you did everything, Then you should be able to activate the spirit pump scene at the beginning of Chapter 3.
Tetsamaru
Totally hardly posted

Previous

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat