Game crash on a mission in chapter 4 (possible spoilers)

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

Game crash on a mission in chapter 4 (possible spoilers)

Unread postby rarri » July 13th, 2008, 7:33 pm

*Sorry, this post is quite long and detailed*

Hello, I just started playing the game on my first run (Mena route) and I made progress until Chapter 4.

I've accepted a mission from Mena in the cafe shop to destroy the lair of those weird Pokemon ripoffs with weird voice and weird face(The Revenge of the Monster Kingdom) and progressed easily in this fun mission until the King/Queen fight in the end.

The battle was relatively easy without any need for consumables , though quite long due to their large amount of hit points.

I fought and fought and suddenly, the game crashed.

I progressed in the mission again, saving afterward and retreating after I collected every item and tamed every needed monster.

I loaded the save and progress towards the battle again, only to get a crash again.

The crash occurred when the Queen used her special personal magic attack (not the charms, I have no idea what magic attack that was because it crashes immediately after she used that magic attack.

It happened again in the next try and in the next one, until I decided to use quick kill tactics by activating Kitty's handy fireball magic using Peppers for Force replenishment by other characters that every turn she could attack again (250 damage each turn, the strongest attack against these guys).

I finally managed to kill that annoying queen and rejoiced. Then, I relaxed myself and attacked the king, who's magic did not crash the game up until then.

Suddenly, the king used new magic (because he is alone without his beloved queen) that crashes the game AGAIN.

Annoyed, I gave it another try for the quick kills tactic, but that failed too, the asshole used that rotten magic after the queen died immediately-and the game crashed again.

I gave up hopes.

Finally, the questions are:

1. Is there a way to kill them even quickly or preventing the use of the crash magic?

2. Is there a way to fix these crashes by "patching" the game somehow? (since there is no official patch, right?)

3.Is there a way to finish this battle quickly by using trainers or external stats change(by editing the game)?

4.Somebody has a save right after the defeat of these assholes in Mena route? (though this is the least welcome option, because I have to go though this quest again in all routes, right?)

5.Is there any other way?

Thank you for your replies.
rarri
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Comazon » July 13th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Whenever I killed the Queen first, the King crashed the game for me too. He would use the same tricks as always, but for some reason the Queen not being there made the game crash. I ended up doing that fight 5 times for my first run (Mena's). Fortunately killing the King first always fixed the issue for me, but I see you don't have that option. :\

Unless you have dual attack (which I doubt you do this early in the game), I'm not sure how to kill them quickly enough. I don't know anything about trainers either, so I can't help you there.

Another option you could do is post your save, let someone beat the king and queen for you, then give you back your save. I admit it's also a pretty lousy option, but it's better than #4. I'd be willing to do it if you'd like. I can't blame you if you want to wait for other people to hopefully post better alternatives though.
Last edited by Comazon on July 13th, 2008, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Comazon
Might just like this board

Unread postby rarri » July 13th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Thank you for your replay.

I uploaded a single save to mediafire( if someone hates mediafire let me know, Ill upload it somewhere else):

www. media fire. com/?dmmdetzxlz9

I know that its not the best option, but in the meanwhile I don't see any better options.

Heh,
I guess Ill have to upload a save each time Ill get to the king and queen in every route if there isn't any other way until then, but until then, I want to finish the game at least once :shock:

Thank you or to everyone who are up to the task of beating this battle using this saved game. Thank you.
rarri
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Comazon » July 13th, 2008, 8:17 pm

It's a long shot, but you could try killing the King first before the Queen does her crashing attack. The game may only crash when the King is present (again, it's a long shot).

In the meantime I'll try beating them with your savefile.

Edit:

Okay, I defeated them and saved as soon as I could. You only missed a few lines of dialogue, which can be summarized fairly easily:

- Mena lectures King and Queen
- King and Queen apologize and offer their services in the future (in other words Mena tamed them and they can be called on in future battles).
- Mena runs off to work while everyone else heads back to the house.
- The game then jumps to 6pm when you're talking with Mena.

That's it.

I didn't use any items, but I had to rearrange your equipment since your style of play is different from mine. I'm not sure who you like to play with, but I used Lucy, Sheryl, and Mena for the fight. Lucy reached level 11. =p

You can download the save here: http://www.mediafire.com/?www91l1royt
Comazon

Unread postby rarri » July 13th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Comazon wrote:Okay, I defeated them and saved as soon as I could. You only missed a few lines of dialogue, which can be summarized fairly easily:

I didn't use any items, but I had to rearrange your equipment since your style of play is different from mine. I'm not sure who you like to play with, but I used Lucy, Sheryl, and Mena for the fight. Lucy reached level 11. =p

Thanks alot man. :P

While you tried to beat the save I fought against the king.
Guess what, when I killed the king, the game crashed Immediately. Its really a dead end here, man.

And in this playthrough I enjoy playing with Cliff, Lucy and Aoi , the default team for me. I like Lucy the best.
In this battle I used Kitty instead of Cliff because of the massive damage she makes with her useful fire attack to finish the battle quickly as possible.

And I know that its really too much to ask, but can I count on you or anyone in this forum helping me going through all the other 4 routes if this happens again?
Am I the only one who has this crash problem both with the king and the queen? If not, someone should make a patch or a fix or something. Such lousy crashes ruin this fun battle,really.

I guess I'll be back. heh..
rarri
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Comazon » July 13th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I'll probably be willing to do it again if need be, but hopefully you'll be able to kill them quickly with dual attacks... hopefully...

I like to use Mena a lot, so if you need me to beat the king and queen again, do me a favor and tame Rotpumpkin beforehand. Lucy almost died on me because I couldn't heal fast enough. =P
Comazon

Unread postby Balcerzak » July 14th, 2008, 3:46 am

rarri: This may or may not be related, but were your video codecs compatible with the movies? That is to say, were you able to view the opening movie, or other movies, successfully? I know that at some point in that battle one of the movies played, though I think it was the king/queen pair attack animation, which may mean that it isn't related to the problem you've mentioned, but I cannot really think of anything else different about the king/queen fight compared to any other battle.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby rarri » July 14th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Balcerzak wrote:rarri: This may or may not be related, but were your video codecs compatible with the movies? That is to say, were you able to view the opening movie, or other movies, successfully? I know that at some point in that battle one of the movies played, though I think it was the king/queen pair attack animation, which may mean that it isn't related to the problem you've mentioned, but I cannot really think of anything else different about the king/queen fight compared to any other battle.

Yes, I can see all the movies, including the opening movies and the duel attack movies .
Perhaps some of the animations are corrupted? like the king and queens' special attack animation(I have no idea which though) and the kings' death animation? That's all I can think of.
rarri
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby UltimaLuminaire » September 9th, 2008, 9:40 am

I just encountered and solved the problem.

There is a similar problem in Castle Fantasia 2 Renewal. There's always a section that glitches and forces your computer to crash, and it always involves something with your audio drive. In the case of Men at Work 2, the problems seem to be (at any time):
-Prolonged play, going between maps and battles
-When you use a co-op tech with Lucy
-When a lone King or Queen attempts to use the God Statue on you.

What's going on is that, for some reason, at these points the game will reject your audio drive and crash your computer. To remedy this, whenever you know a scene is comming that will crash your computer (such as Lucy's co-op tech) you can just go to the sound menu and turn off ALL sound. If that doesn't work, then you should go and disable your audio drivers for the duration of the problem section (just play your ipod in the meantime).

To disable your audio drivers:
Control Panel --> System --> Hardware --> Advance Settings --> Sound, Video, and Game
Simply disable the audio drivers that you can disable. Don't worry about the ones you can't (such as Audio Codecs).

Hopefully, one of these solutions will help. Usually, playing without voices (or even sound) will stop most of the random crashes in the game, if not all of them (as was the case with Castle Fantasia 2).
UltimaLuminaire
Totally hardly posted

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat