hardware acceleration

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

hardware acceleration

Unread postby Multi » July 10th, 2008, 9:21 pm

This isn't necessarily about maw2 but,

I got a geforce 6800 and I noticed that for like, maw2 i can't use the hardware rendering, i have to use software rendering unless i do fullscreen. in maw3 it's the same deal, and in maw4 after like, a few scenes, the transition scenes go at like 1 frame every 5 seconds regardless of whether i use software or hardware acceleration.

Is there a patch to fix this or reason this happens?
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby TheXev » July 10th, 2008, 11:29 pm

So long as you're in 32-bit color, you should be able to do hardware acceleration in windowed mode. You should only have issues if you are in 16-bit color. MAW4 has a patch you may wish to apply (i can't look up the link atm because I'm in a public place).
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Multi » July 11th, 2008, 11:09 am

i am in 32bit color, but for maw2 it would just show a black screen after the intro. maw3 has the same issue, and maw4 works fine except for the weird 1frame per 5 seconds after a couple of transition screens, regardless of hardware acceleration or fullscreen or not.

It's not really a huge deal, but it's a little bit annoying.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 11th, 2008, 12:02 pm

Sounds pretty unplayable, I checked the software rendering once and it was awful. Have you tried updating your video drivers? I have 6800GT and no problems.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby abscess » July 16th, 2008, 6:55 am

I have a similar problem. The game crashes randomly in my PC, sometimes it takes minutes t crash or even hours, so I decided to keep on playing, but I reached a point that I just can't keep on paying, it keeps on crashing and crashing on the same map (different location). I've tried 3 times and it always ended up on crashing. I tried checking the box for Real-Time Rendering Off in the launch menu, but during dungeons the game looks so horrible that I'd rather not play it at all. The same happens when I use Software Emulation. I do have the latest drivers for my video-card and my PC is not even a year old so it can't be dying yet (I hope).

I will try it again after I stop swearing at the game (which may happen tomorrow at best) to see if I can finally be able to continue without the game crashing on me when I'm in a dungeon.

The crashes actually don't don't happen in dungeons only, it happens whenever the game wants, be it during long speeches, battles or whatever. Is there some way to fix this thing?

My video-card is an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS, the processor is a Core 2 Quad Q6600. Is there some sort of problem with the game and new video-cards?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby TheXev » July 22nd, 2008, 6:11 am

The crashing in MAW4 can be fixed by downloading the patch. The game was unplayable upon release. I had to have the first patch to make it playable. You can also get the MAW3 update for MAW4 SE there to update that to 1.11.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat