level patterns

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

level patterns

Unread postby Darkbalmunk » July 8th, 2008, 6:25 pm

i think leveling up is kind of random in this game i mean at the beginning 1-2 slime battles = 1 lvl, rat in seweres are like 1-5 and randomly gives u a level somewhere, and after the pumpkin levels seems to pop up randomly, i mean my 3 man party, the main character and lucy and mera, seem to level up at different rates.
Darkbalmunk
Might just like this board

Unread postby Comazon » July 8th, 2008, 6:45 pm

I always assumed whoever got the last hit got the most experience. When I do a 3-person combo (Cliff -> Mena/Sheryl -> Lucy) that kills an enemy on the final hit, Lucy will get the most experience by far, Cliff will get slightly less than Mena/Sheryl, and those not in your active party get hardly any experience at all. I haven't tested this thoroughly though, so I could very well be wrong.
Comazon

Unread postby Phlebas » July 8th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Leveling does give a pretty random feel. It's deffo true that last hit gives the most exp, but that aside you can level to lvl 10 in the sewers orso, or you can finish the game at level 10... so I'm guessing the exp from monsters hardly goes up as you progress and similarly it doesn't go down for fighting lower level mobs either. Some mobs may give a lot more exp than others but it's hard to tell, never found any ultimate exping area/mob: the cafe basement is very easy exp but the downside is that you can only level the first 3 girls there.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Darkbalmunk » July 9th, 2008, 5:27 am

ok so far playing a bit more concintrating on my combat i find it may be a exp set, but i think its more like the amount of enemies killed i mean as u progress it stays teh same a certain ammount of battles need to be fought plus who kills an enemy seems to push up the chances. and taming seems to kill those chances. *trys to tame a skeleton 200 times and successes but fails to level up* T_T
Darkbalmunk

Unread postby teiglin » July 9th, 2008, 8:37 am

I've also been totally baffled by the levelling system. Attacking (and killing) monsters seems to have something to do with it, as Cliff always ends up highest and I tend to have him spam whirlwind on random encounters, but the only thing I can say with 100% certainty is that if you don't use characters they level up more slowly than those you do use. Has anyone been able to determine if actions such as healing or using an item have any effect on level gain? Do you get experience based on damage you deal, number of attacks you make, or just monsters for which you get the killing blow?

I've finished all five routes but this still bugs me every time I think about it. >.<
teiglin

Unread postby Phlebas » July 9th, 2008, 8:47 am

I'd say just killing blow gives extra exp for sure, since if you play the whole game with a combo pattern where the same guy always ends up with most kills you'll definitely find him/her at several levels higher than the one who always does the first strike (supposing you level a fair bit, anyway). I think it may also be necessary to attack at least once to get "normal" exp as I've had some setups where someone doesn't seem to level at all because I haven't been paying much attention to enemy hps and one guy never gets to attack orso.

I've got the best results at leveling when I consistently pay some mind to it so that for instance in a 3 mob encounter, char1&2 attack mob1 (char2 gets kill), char 3 attacks 2nd mob, not killing it -> next turn char 1 attacks mob2, killing it, char2&3 attack mob 3, char3 gets kill -> everyone gets a kill.

The lack of visible exp counter and enemy hp are a few things that one can hope were fixed in the sequels.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Darkbalmunk » July 9th, 2008, 3:50 pm

to me it seems like exp sorta but on a point system lets say
hitting 1 enemie scores 1 point
killing 1 gets 2points
sitting in battle 1 point

exp goes from 10 20 30 40 50 kinda thing as u get higher to make it seem like leveling is getting harder
so fighting 2 slimes = around 10 points thus lvl 2 ?
i guess thats what its based on..
Darkbalmunk

Unread postby Multi » July 10th, 2008, 10:25 am

I wondered that myself. Definitely whoever deals the killing blow gets significantly more xp / chance to level up. When i first get sheryl, i always have her kill a bunch of large mobs with her "i'm mad" skill so she levels 2 or 3 times pretty quickly. I had lucy as cleanup and she was usually 2 or 3 levels above the people in my party.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat