Kitty's Path + Final Boss Fight = WTF?!?! (spoilers?)

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

Kitty's Path + Final Boss Fight = WTF?!?! (spoilers?)

Unread postby Comazon » July 6th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Okay, this is my third time playing the game. I already got Lucy's and Mena's routes, so now I'm going for Kitty's. Up until recently I would have said that the game has been pretty easy.

By nature I tend to prefer defense over offense, so for the first two runs I was pouring my points primarily into defense and a mix of life/will. For Kitty's route I wanted to speed up the game a bit (by killing more quickly), so I skimped on the life and focused more on attack. I was fairly pleased with the results... until now. >>;;

Now I'm up against the final boss fight and can't seem to last more than 3 turns against him. Some of my chars die in a single hit. And the real kicker is that the save point is ridiculously far back (before Kitty's last H-Scene). Any advice on how to beat him?

He was such a joke in the previous two runs and now THIS?!?! I'm starting to think I have to start over so I can rebuild my chars. D:
Comazon
Might just like this board

Unread postby BettiePage » July 6th, 2008, 9:31 pm

i'v always just dump the 5 points into all 5 stats evenly...

none of them were maxed out but it was good enough.

if your defense is too low... equip shield items... use stat boost item as well for defense if you have any.
BettiePage
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Comazon » July 6th, 2008, 9:46 pm

My Defense is relatively high (though I didn't max it out with everyone like in the previous 2 runs).

My stats (yes I'm fairly low level :oops: ):

The equipment I was thinking of using:
For those who don't know what it does...
Cliff: Hustle + Quick + Shield
Sheryl: Hustle + Quick + Shield
Lucy: Guts + Quick + Fire attacks do half damage

As my level may hint at, I've been using Cliff + Sheryl + Lucy pretty much the whole time. I tried using Mena against the final boss fight, but she died in a single hit (despite the max defense).

I think low life and low lvl screwed me over. :\
Comazon

Unread postby Phlebas » July 6th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Your life is on the acceptable border but you're way too low level imo, I'm thinking it's the same as Aoi's route boss and I was pretty underleveled for it at lvl ~12. First boss where I had to go heavy on consumables. I'll be at the boss soon myself (if I can find the mobs in town with my disappeared markers...) so I'll post a more specific solution when I've confirmed that the fight is as I think.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Phlebas » July 6th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Yeah it's as I suspected. So, as for items:

You may have wondered what all those "halves damage from xxx element" items are good for. Well, this is it. He 90% attacks with elements so I'd deck every char with 3 half-element items, priority being imo on ice because he seems to use that mass attack the most - or either way try to get at least 1 element resisted by every character so that you get an "easy" turn when he uses that area attack. single target attacks are easy to heal/resurrect. I'm not sure if "shield" even helps against magic attacks, but it can help to buff everyone up with tech.
Then go crazy with consumables. The main problem is building up force for dual attacks while being forced to heal constantly, so a good supply of healing items helps you loads.
Use dual attacks on every opportunity; it's probably hard to find the time to attack from healing so this is your main way of dealing damage. He should have around 5-6k health from what I remember, so 3-4 dual attacks should be the most you need. If you're really desperate you can use red mushrooms to take him down very fast.
Oh yeah, he has a high agi and it can be dangerous if he attacks before your chars, so you may have to use a "quick" item (or buff from Lucy from instance) if your chars have low agi.

(that's the general strategy; even having said that I still think you're too low level; you may be able to pull it off with using red mushrooms (And maybe swapping in chars with full force) to quickly execute enough dual attacks but that's about it).
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Comazon » July 6th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I tried one more time before seeing what you wrote, with Mena and Shield. I made her summon rotpumpkin every single turn (since she was slower than the boss and I didn't know what attack he would use). Her force was kept alive with the pepper that my other two party members used >>. It seemed to work for a while, as Mena was BARELY able to survive the hits (usually with less than 10HP left), but then eventually died in one hit due to his fire attack. T_T

Imo the only chance I have is with Mena (equipped with Shield and a reduce fire damage item) and a LOT of pepper. I'll give the rest of my party members the half damage from element items you recommend. Quick items are near pointless, as only Cliff is fast enough to go first with them. ><

Fortunately I do have a save right before where I can lvl up and buy items, so I guess I'll go leveling up a bit first. Hopefully I won't have to restart after all.
Comazon

Unread postby Phlebas » July 6th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Hehe ic, good luck. If you can level before it you shouldn't have that much trouble. Mena and Rotpumpkin is about the best option for healing in that fight as all the other mass heals are pretty expensive, didn't mention it because of her low hp/level in your screenshot. If you can get her a few more levels the fight should be a cinch.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Comazon » July 7th, 2008, 1:10 am

Well I finally did it, though it required 50+ peppers. >>;;

Thanks for the help. :)
Comazon

Unread postby teiglin » July 7th, 2008, 7:45 am

I remember thinking the same thing about Kitty's boss fight--that it was ridiculously harder than the others--but I did manage to one-shot the guy. I went back to my last save, and Cliff was lv16 while my other two normal party members (Aoi, Lucy) were lv10. I maxed out attack and will, maxed or almost agility, and put very little into defense/life (I thought this was my problem, though it sounds like his attacks do ridiculous amounts of damage even with more even point distribution). This was of course before all those fights leading up to him, which probably gained me a level or two. Anyway, I didn't use any consumables, just mostly used Lucy's aoe heal ability while using straight attacks from the others and generally used Cliff's 80 force thing every time it was up.

Still, amazing step up from the previous fights. I guess it fits with the storyline, since
he actually managed to obtain Cyphon blood to make him more powerful.
teiglin

Unread postby Multi » July 10th, 2008, 10:05 am

odd, I never had any problems at all with the game after my first run. None of my mains even died, and I didn't use a single item until my 4th run where i was just getting sick of the obscene hp levels of the final bosses, so i used like, 4 or 5 red mushrooms and cayenne to quickly kill them with dual attacks and combos. I also focused on using the stat boosting equips. After the 2nd run, i avoided all monster fights after chapter 3 using arc, so i think my usual level was around 9-11. Stat boosting gear helps out quite a bit, i'm pretty sure i could've done with less agi or def on my runs.

My most used party was cliff, sheryl, lucy.
I found mena to be useless, and at a basic level she's weaker than all the chars in stats and whatever invisible stat counter they have. Aoi's good but i didnt' get much use out of her skills. Kitty was the same, and she has such low hp that she has to be watched like a hawk. Her skills are pretty useless, except for her fire attack, which is actually pretty good. She also dodges a lot, but i didn't find her useful unless i gave her the hustle item.

i think i put quick items on cliff and sheryl, shield on sheryl and lucy, guts and hustle on lucy. I adjusted their stats accordingly, with cliff favoring def, then atk, then agi, then will, then life. Sheryl i favored def, will, atk, agi (i pumped this up when i first got her however to catch up with the other two), then life, and lucy was agi, atk, def, will, life. I think putting will or life past the halfway point is pointless, and i don't think you get any extra hp for life points if you don't level after you put them in so if you're gonna get life, put it in early.

Putting lucy at the end and attacking with lightning does like 500dmg, plus sheryl's aoe is good, cliff's just there for dual attacks and to setup the combo order. In case anybody doesn't know the combo orders yet,

Cliff > mena/sheryl > lucy > aoi/kitty > loop. I found it easier to just remember that instead of trying to figure out their elements early on. Course after i got all their skills, i figured cliff was earth, mena/sheryl ice, lucy wind, aoi/kitty fire. But I'm not sure if mena or aoi have any skills that indicate their element, and i didn't figure out an easier way of learning their elements.

For the wisor boss when he has his shadows, the shadows i think, do significantly less damage. I'm also not sure what exactly or how exactly it was done but after my first run, with the shield equips, i rarely saw damage over 20 for my chars. My first run i maxed out attack first, and that's probably what made it harder, but i also got the feeling that i got way way more stat points on later playthroughs than my first. I think i was level 17 on my first playthrough and i only maxed 1 stat for each char, and after that i was maxing out 2 stats on chars who were level 4.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 10th, 2008, 10:09 am

Are you talking about the same fight? Your reference to Wisor shadows makes it sound dubious. Lvl 10+ is deffo enough for the bosses though if you have had good stat allocation, I think i was lvl 11-13 on my last 3 runs with char hps ranging from 100 to 180, so it was pretty safe.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Multi » July 10th, 2008, 10:20 am

I'm not talking about a specific fight. I was just mentioning it while i was at it. I already beat all the paths with ease.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat