What are the different stats for?

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

What are the different stats for?

Unread postby Smobey » July 4th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Attack, defense etc are obvious yeah, but what about agility and will? Does agility affect how fast can you act? How well can you dodge? Or often do you hit? All of them? None of them? And what does will do at all?
Smobey
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 7:28 pm

The main advantage of agility is that it determines the attack order (you can see that in small numbers at the start of turn). Pumping agi a few points at start and increasing it steadily pays off cuz you can always attack first with all chars, usually taking out a mob or two before their turn (and much more reliable healing). I think it also increases hit and dodge but that's harder to tell for sure.
And I haven't been able to come up with a clear numeric correlation but as far as I can tell Will increases your force regen (doesn't make a huge difference on first time early game, but it's a BITCH to fill 80 force on 2nd playthough with 1 will at start.) - if I'm wrong please correct me.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby teiglin » July 4th, 2008, 10:48 pm

my observations agree with what phlebas posted; I maxed out several of my characters' agility by the end and a ton of attacks seemed to miss them, in addition to always going first. Another good thing about having all your characters go first is that you can choose your combos with ease; when your characters' turns are non-consecutive you won't be able to execute combos at all. Nobody mentioned Life stat but maybe people assume that is obvious in that it increases health? I don't put much in it. :P

Regarding Will, I *think* Phlebas is right; the amount of force you recover seems related to how much damage you do and to your will in some unknown formula.
teiglin
Might just like this board

Unread postby TakaJun » July 5th, 2008, 1:31 am

Attack: Attack power (obviously)
Defence: Defence power (obviously)
Agility: Speed (how fast the character's turn comes) and accuracy
Life: HP increase rate (the higher it is, the more HP you gain when you level up)
Will: Force increase rate (the higher it is, the more Force you gain when you level up). Also determines force recovery rate.

You recover more force the more combo you do. My advice: Put Sheryl in your party. Her attacks do 5 hits.
When I played, I put most stuff into attack, agility, and will :D
TakaJun

Unread postby Comazon » July 5th, 2008, 1:49 am

I'm a little skeptical that damage is related to how much force you gain back, since my Mena has max will but only 1 point to attack (she deals 0-2 damage usually), but she doesn't have any issue gaining force. Maybe it's just because she has max will, I don't know....
Last edited by Comazon on July 5th, 2008, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comazon

Unread postby teiglin » July 5th, 2008, 1:55 am

Maybe the effect I'm seeing is actually related to TJ's comment about combos--if you gain more force by doing longer combos, it looks to me like the higher damage from the combo results in higher force gain but it's actually just the combo. I dunno for sure though. :)
teiglin

Unread postby TakaJun » July 5th, 2008, 2:10 am

Damage has nothing to do with force recovery.

Combo has 2 effects.
-Recovers force
-Increases damage
TakaJun

Unread postby Phlebas » July 5th, 2008, 7:42 am

I thought Life works like that but wasn't entirely sure. It's an interesting point cuz it means you should pump it a bit at very start, later it's pretty useless (same as constitution in D&D, altho there you don't get that much chance to improve it later). You don't really level that much in the game after all, on my 2nd playthrough I was lvl 10 when i finished the 2nd mission, and lvl 19 when I cleared the game, 1st play I was more like lvl 15 when I finished the game.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Multi » July 5th, 2008, 8:10 pm

How do you do the dual attacks? I thought it'd open up after getting the eroscenes or beating a girl's scenario but i got bupcis.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 5th, 2008, 8:23 pm

You need 80 force (max) on both Cliff and a girl.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Multi » July 5th, 2008, 8:27 pm

lawl thanks. Is that all? the way the prologue made it sound was like, you had to be intimate with your partner for it to happen. how misleading.
Multi
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 5th, 2008, 8:32 pm

There's a grain of truth, you'll have to keep them in your party to level them for 80 force, but that's about it.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat