When can you build that darn 9k bath? (SPOILERS)

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

When can you build that darn 9k bath? (SPOILERS)

Unread postby Comazon » July 4th, 2008, 6:07 am

Okay, so I'm in Chapter 3 (right after the poison mushroom quest), haven't bought a single item my entire time playing, but I only have 3700 gold. The only time I spent money was for house fixing-up jobs (like the oven, floor breaking, etc).

This is normal, right? I want to build that bath, but I'm worried I won't get the money before I beat the game. :?

:!: WARNING: This thread contains info on how to get certain H-Scenes and CGs. Do not read this thread if you want to earn them without help. :!:
Last edited by Comazon on July 10th, 2008, 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Comazon
Might just like this board

Unread postby AlinSabel » July 4th, 2008, 6:58 am

mirror moon IRC Channel wrote: 9000... by what chapter are you supposed to have that kind of money >_>
Maou: in your next playthrough ^^ you cant buy it in your first game
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Comazon » July 4th, 2008, 7:01 am

Ah, never knew it worked like that. Thanks.
Comazon

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 7:06 am

I think you _can_ build it at the end if you skimp on other expenses and tame every monster as
The weapon merchant will pay you 100g for every tamed monster later

(I had 7k+ without having tamed them all, and having built the oven and repaired floor twice), but the use is limited as you've already missed most if not all of the inhouse bath scenes.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 5:18 pm

That aside, I'm wondering if you ever actually need to pay any attention to money in this game? In other words, do you get more expensive things to build than the floors+oven+bath later? Cuz as I see it, if you disregard building bath on 1st playthrough you should have over 7k to spend on consumables and whatnot, and there isn't even any equipment to buy; on the 2nd playthrough you actually have even more money after building the bath (had around 15k gold just a while ago).
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby uriel » July 4th, 2008, 5:45 pm

Phlebas wrote:That aside, I'm wondering if you ever actually need to pay any attention to money in this game? In other words, do you get more expensive things to build than the floors+oven+bath later? Cuz as I see it, if you disregard building bath on 1st playthrough you should have over 7k to spend on consumables and whatnot, and there isn't even any equipment to buy; on the 2nd playthrough you actually have even more money after building the bath (had around 15k gold just a while ago).

I finished the game but I hadn't any money left the second time... how is it possibile?
I thought it was normal, but if you say so... Maybe i did something wrong, but the equipment and force are the same as when I finished the game, only the money are disappeared
"Someone said is better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, but that is a defeatistic attitude.
I won't reign only in hell"
uriel

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 6:04 pm

So you just started a 2nd game? Assuming you use the cleared save,

Visit the Academy President's room a few times until you're given care of the emergency fund; when you're made the temporary president you'll get a whopping 14k gold (or at least that's how much I got on 2nd time, dno if it varies on playthroughs). Have fun with the bath ^^
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby uriel » July 4th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Phlebas wrote:So you just started a 2nd game? Assuming you use the cleared save,

Visit the Academy President's room a few times until you're given care of the emergency fund; when you're made the temporary president you'll get a whopping 14k gold (or at least that's how much I got on 2nd time, dno if it varies on playthroughs). Have fun with the bath ^^

If I have to try before sensei live. then I lost the possibility... I'll try to find the last save state before the beginning of the 2nd game:(
"Someone said is better to reign in hell than serve in heaven, but that is a defeatistic attitude.
uriel

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Ouch ^^. Could be a good idea to keep a perma-save from the start of the game (with clear game data). Good luck.

Gonna try to play 3rd time without taming monsters since it's getting to be quite a drag (you should keep the tamed monsters on new game~~), hope I don't get hit with some 15k new expenditure out of the blue.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby uriel » July 4th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Phlebas wrote:Ouch ^^. Could be a good idea to keep a perma-save from the start of the game (with clear game data). Good luck.

Unfotunatly the last time I saved, I have overwritten exactly the last, before the final battle... no found this time.
I already spent 1k for the oven, but maybe I'll be able to reach 9k at the very end (thanks to the extra money from the object I picked up during the first game)
uriel

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 9:17 pm

I don't think the bath is a necessity for any path, you'll just miss several extra scenes without it. And you can probably get it in 2nd gameplay without the extra money, probably at the start of chapter 4 at latest - I think I made about 15k gold in addition to the 14k I got at start - especially if you've picked up all the items on 1st game since now you'll get money instead of items you already have. But you'll probably still end up missing several scenes even if you get the bath :/. Well I'm sure you'll see them on the 3rd time through, at least ^^.
A thorough taming will get you about 4k gold total btw, tried it last game.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raven » July 4th, 2008, 9:31 pm

so exactly what carries over? When you say that 14K, you mean as a carry over (as in that how much you have by the time you beat the game)?
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Only items and character's force carries over (and presumably the info about cleared routes, I don't know whether you can access the later routes by starting a new game from scratch) - if you have gold at the end you may as well buy some consumables. Read my earlier comment about the extra gold.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raven » July 4th, 2008, 10:02 pm

yeah I read it, I'm just wondering it's a random amount (or fix) that will be given regardless of how much money you have in the previous run or some there is some dependents.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 10:05 pm

I'm not sure, I just now got it on my 3rd playtime and now it was over 20k gold, so looks like I was misled by the exact amount of 14k gold I got the first time. That doesn't really correlate to any sum I can think of, but it does seem to be more every time you play. Closest I can think of is something like 7k+what you had left over last time, in which case your money actually does carry over, but it's hard to tell for sure.
Last edited by Phlebas on July 4th, 2008, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raven » July 4th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Thanks, I'm at chapter 4 now, I'll try to verify it.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Comazon » July 5th, 2008, 4:09 am

Phlebas wrote:So you just started a 2nd game? Assuming you use the cleared save,

Hmm.... I got the emergency fund, but when Cliff was picked as the new leader he said they shouldn't rely on the money and it didn't get added to my total gold amount. T_T

Was there a choice to use the money or not that I may have accidentally clicked on or something?

Edit: Actually, wait... I may have gotten the bonus, but if that's the case it was only about 300 gold. Either way, I was robbed. :cry:
Comazon

Unread postby Raven » July 5th, 2008, 4:38 am

300 Gold is the default amount, it's awarded to you even in your first game.

Make sure you're endowed the money by Ivy before the prologue ends
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Comazon » July 5th, 2008, 4:53 am

I thought I did. I remember seeing the scene with Will hiding it behind his back and Iry giving it to me for safekeeping. Yet once cliff is made the new temporary leader, I get nothing beyond that 300 (making it roughly 7.7k total). Unless I'm supposed to get the money sometime after that... :(

The good news is I still have a save from before, but I have some ground to cover. I'll get caught up again and see what happens.

Edit:
Same thing happened. Cliff supposedly added the money Iry gave me but I only have 7700 (which was what I pretty much had at the end of the first run through the game).

It seems that the emergency fund just gives the money I had last run and nothing else. So if I'm reading the posts above correctly, this implies I'm missing something stupidly obvious or it's a glitch.
Comazon

Unread postby Raven » July 5th, 2008, 6:39 am

I just started my second play through, and I got 16600. So I guess it does add 7000$ to whatever you had last game.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat