MAW2 Bug Report [v1.0]

Talk about Men at Work! 2 related topics here.

Moderator: Staffers

MAW2 Bug Report [v1.0]

Unread postby TakaJun » July 2nd, 2008, 5:55 am

This is a report thread for all the bugs, crashes and other technical problems you may find in MAW2 English.

Describe the problem short and clearly and state if you can reproduce the problem and how.
Please also supply the following:
- Your operating system
- Amount of RAM installed on system
- Whether you are using MAW3 or MAW4
- What video card and drivers you are using

Please make sure if you can reproduce the error you report

NOTE - Before you post a bug or technical error, search this thread to see if it hasn't already been reported.
Last edited by TakaJun on July 6th, 2008, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TakaJun

Unread postby Phlebas » July 4th, 2008, 8:07 am

I *think* this is a bug but it's a bit irregular. Sometimes the shiny markers that show object/boss locations aren't visible. It's happened to me several times but the only time where it happend on both my playthroughs so far was the first boss marker for the mission where you hunt the trashcan monster. Other variable locations have been the first boss marker on the right in the graveyard purification mission, and the marker for the Sylph boss in "Save Benjamin" mission. The marker's been missing on several items too, some of which I've found by luck or by remembering where they were on previous playthrough. Re-entering the area seems to fix those (at least occasionally, hasn't always been possible to test).

Edit: After 3 playthroughs I can confirm that this happens very regularly to me, and re-entering the area doesn't always fix this either. Sometimes I can see the markers disappear (permanently) when I pan the camera around, as well. For instance the first map of the Monsters' Den mission has two times in a row been marker-less for me, and couldn't get the marker(s?) visible even on several re-enterings.

As for specs, I'm on winXPpro, 2GB RAM, using MaW4, Nvidia GeForce 6800GT driver vers 6.14.10010.9371.
Last edited by Phlebas on July 6th, 2008, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Repeat Fatal Error

Unread postby a_v » July 4th, 2008, 5:55 pm

- Your operating system

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Men At Work! 4

Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 Ghz, 2 GB of Ram

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon x600 128MB
Driver Version 8.281.0.0

PowerStrip 3.78 Build 6.16
Version 5.1

Japanese Regional Options and Non-unicode settings

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library
Debug Assertation Failed!
Program E://Program Files/Studio e.go!/maw2_plus/maw2-english.exe
File:dbgheap.c
Line: 1076

Expression:_pFirstBlock == phead

The game seems to run correctly, except for the movies and this error.

The actual error seems to be a random event that causes the program to completely crash after a battle, not sure if it's a coincidence if it's because a character levels or not. Unrecoverable once the error occurs, even the 3 choices of Abort Retry and Ignore are nonresponsive. From that point, a forcequit is necessary.
a_v
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Pregar » July 4th, 2008, 7:23 pm

When talking to Sheryl about how Lucy will be sad tomorrow because of that baby I got from Hanna, the text was too much to left and behind Cliff's picture -> unreadable. (MAW4, XP SP2)
Pregar
Totally hardly posted

New Error - Different Message

Unread postby a_v » July 4th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Slightly different fatal error:
Still happens early on, crashes. Same comp info as my earlier one, except installed FDShow to view the movies.

AppName: maw2-english.exe AppVer: 1.5.1.0 ModName: aclayers.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 Offset: 00012fc8
a_v
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Phlebas » July 5th, 2008, 11:08 am

I'm not sure if this is a bug but it seems a bit weird. In Aoi route's get-together scene at the Church there's a comment by Cliff after Cliff apologizes and Aoi replies: "T-that's not...", what comes after that is that:
Cliff's portrait changes for 1 screen, he speaks 1 syllable or so (as if the voice gets cut) and the text portion of the screen is totally blank. I don't recall seeing such a blank text screen elsewhere so this looks a bit odd, but I suppose it could be like that originally.
Phlebas the Phoenician, a fortnight dead, Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep sea swell // And the profit and loss.
- - Gentile or Jew // O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
[T.S.Eliot: The Waste Land - IV. Death by Water]
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby armedlord » July 5th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Minor error I believe: During the time that you have to babysit and you visit Sheryl, Cliff's face stays stuck on screen, overlaps the text for both of them and stays that way until the conversation is over.

WinXP Pro
3.5 Gigs of Ram
Using MAW 4
GeForce 8800 GT...not quite sure of driver version, never bothered to check but I did update about a week ago.
armedlord
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ItsTheRice » July 10th, 2008, 12:23 am

Hi, thank you again for the release of this game.

I'm having some problems with the installer and can't seem to get the game to install correctly. Basically, the installer freezes as soon as the game is installing (right after I select where my CD is). I'm not sure how to reproduce this error since only my installer just freezes and windows says the program has stopped working.

My system info:
-Windows Vista Home
-2gbs of RAM
-MAW4 special edition
-I'm not too sure where I can find out about my video card (I'm sort of computer illiterate)

Thanks for the help!
ItsTheRice
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » July 10th, 2008, 9:59 am

Try pointing entering a bullshit path to the CD, see if the installer gives a proper error that it cannot find the CD.

Unread postby armedlord » July 11th, 2008, 12:24 am

Oh, now I just noticed that my bug problem was already told by someone else. Whoops. :oops:

That'll teach me to skip one liners most of the time.

Well I seem to gotten another problem in anycase. Sort of like a_v's problem I suppose, but during battle instead of after.

I'm in the Graveyard mission and encounted a random battle of, if I recall the name right, three Mandrakes. Killed one of them with a Aoi/Cliff normal attack combo while Sheryl damaged the second one. One of the Mandrakes took their turn and I waited for the other to attack...which didn't. The one that didn't was the one Sheryl attacked. I then noticed that its stuck in it's 'been attacked' pose.

I waited for about four minutes and it's still in that pose and thus, unable to continue or exit the battle.

Unlike a_v's problem of having to force quit, I was able to quit the game normally however.
armedlord
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ItsTheRice » July 12th, 2008, 2:30 am

Message wrote:Try pointing entering a bullshit path to the CD, see if the installer gives a proper error that it cannot find the CD.

I'm not sure why, but after I switched my unicode language to Japanese (someone was kind enough to point this out to me) the installer worked.

Thanks though.
ItsTheRice
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby rarar » July 12th, 2008, 3:41 am

Um, this is probably more of a vista problem, but whenever I try to run the installer it keeps complaining about running with administrator privileges, even though I rightclicked and did a Run as Administrator

Windows Vista Home Premium
2.5 GB RAM
MAW4
Nvidia? Err not really sure about my drivers but I don't think that's the problem
rarar
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Einherjar » July 12th, 2008, 4:36 am

Videos don't play, dungeon movements feels really weird (is it supposed to be like that???)

VistaHome

3 gig rame ddr2
GeForce 8600M GT ( yes it's laptop)
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100
MaW4
"...Whatever."
"...Not interested."
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Shandara » July 13th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Have had random crashes in a lot of places after getting to chapter 2 and beyond.

Usually when entering/leaving combat or going from town-view to dungeon-view and vice-versa. Dungeons have been hit and miss with stability for me. I figure it's to do with the 3d graphics.

Also had a strange freeze in the scene where Sheryl appears to the cast after the Servant 'tried' to be a ghost. When the flowers appeared on the CG the game froze (and had to be forcibly closed). Strangely enough it only happened on my 2nd run.

MAW! 4 DVD
Core 2 Duo E8500
4gig Ram
WinXP SP3
GeForce 9800 GTX - 175.16 drivers
Shandara
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby rarri » July 13th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Game crash on Chapter 4, "The Revenge of the Monster Kingdom" mission.

Summarized Problem: Game crashed in the battle against the King and the Queen under 3 conditions:

1.The King and the Queen are both still alive, the queen uses a special magical attack that crashes the game immediately.
2.The Queen dies, the king uses a special magical attack after her death. the game crashes immediately.
3.The King dies, the game crashes immediately.

*For the user Comazon, the queen did not crash the game. only condition 2 was applied.

All the details in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?t=2037

Specs:
-Windows XP Professional Version 2002 - Service Pack 3
-AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 GHz
-1.00 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
-MAW4 Special Edition
rarri
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ILPPendant » July 15th, 2008, 11:13 am

Perhaps not a game bug (may be a hardware problem) but I've noticed that although the sound works fine on my 5.1 sound system, as soon as I plug in headphones, voices and SFX disappear and I can only hear the music. I can't reproduce this problem in any other game.

Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
Intel Q6600
4GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8800GT (do I meet the minimum specs? :D)
MAW4 SE

Sound system in question:
Logitech G51

I've also been experiencing random crashes, however, I can't reproduce those either. (Not that I'd want to, since it usually involves pottering about on the 3D map for over an hour or so.)

EDIT: Update: Random crashes have been occurring much more frequently recently. They also appear during "text" phases rather than simply after battles. Could it be the game is crashing after it fails to call up the sound files it needs? Is there a way of testing this theory?
ILPPendant
Might just like this board

C++ errors

Unread postby Arjy Yu » July 15th, 2008, 2:30 pm

I've had lots of C++ errors and crashes, like those described by a_v. It was almost impossible to complete 1st cemetery hunt (with Guiliotine-sama).

My solution is:

1st - decrease anisotropic filtering from 16x to 8x

2nd - run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 98/Me with Disabled visual themes

Not sure yet wich option is more important, but I'll try to find out.

- Your operating system

Windows XP, SP1
2 Gb (4x512)
MAW4 SE
Galaxy GeForce 6800GT, AGP, 256 Mb
ForceWare 169.21
Arjy Yu
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » July 16th, 2008, 7:41 am

ILPPendant wrote:Perhaps not a game bug (may be a hardware problem) but I've noticed that although the sound works fine on my 5.1 sound system, as soon as I plug in headphones, voices and SFX disappear and I can only hear the music. I can't reproduce this problem in any other game.

Go to your audio driver's configuration panel and set the amount of speakers to 2/0 Stereo. This should mix all six channels to the headphones.

Unread postby ILPPendant » July 16th, 2008, 8:58 am

Message wrote:
ILPPendant wrote:Perhaps not a game bug (may be a hardware problem) but I've noticed that although the sound works fine on my 5.1 sound system, as soon as I plug in headphones, voices and SFX disappear and I can only hear the music. I can't reproduce this problem in any other game.

Go to your audio driver's configuration panel and set the amount of speakers to 2/0 Stereo. This should mix all six channels to the headphones.

Cheers, that worked beautifully.
ILPPendant
Might just like this board

Unread postby SceL » July 20th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Shandara wrote:Have had random crashes in a lot of places after getting to chapter 2 and beyond.

Usually when entering/leaving combat or going from town-view to dungeon-view and vice-versa. Dungeons have been hit and miss with stability for me. I figure it's to do with the 3d graphics.

Also had a strange freeze in the scene where Sheryl appears to the cast after the Servant 'tried' to be a ghost. When the flowers appeared on the CG the game froze (and had to be forcibly closed). Strangely enough it only happened on my 2nd run.

MAW! 4 DVD
Core 2 Duo E8500
4gig Ram
WinXP SP3
GeForce 9800 GTX - 175.16 drivers

ILPPendant wrote:I've also been experiencing random crashes, however, I can't reproduce those either. (Not that I'd want to, since it usually involves pottering about on the 3D map for over an hour or so.)

EDIT: Update: Random crashes have been occurring much more frequently recently. They also appear during "text" phases rather than simply after battles. Could it be the game is crashing after it fails to call up the sound files it needs? Is there a way of testing this theory?

Same problem here, a lot of random crashes.
SceL
Totally hardly posted

Next

Return to Men at Work! 2 Chat