Melty Blood (temporarily?) canceled

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Longinus » August 6th, 2004, 4:00 pm

new guy... are you some sort of moron?
Longinus

Unread postby l3illyl3ob » August 6th, 2004, 7:03 pm

Personal opinions aside, i really want to see this project go somewhere, and it'll be a damn shame if it dies due to people pirating it on such a torrent site. My attempts to persuade them on their forums (under torrent talk - games) have become nothing but vain so far, with the admins and other members not even investigating what the project is about before throwing in their say, with such brilliant commentary as:
And if this company has a real business plan, they are porbably still developing, and just making hype about their product.

and the whopper
What do they care. We all would have just stolen the game upon release anyway.

I have a feeling they aren't going to be taking down the torrent any time soon :(
l3illyl3ob

Unread postby MrMann » August 7th, 2004, 1:20 am

That torrent is gone from the Trackers. It should disappear from Suprnova in a few days as per their system. Sorry for all the trouble I caused.

TheXev wrote:The fact of the matter is the terms of service have been violated, and I won?t stand for it. There was an interesting discussion in the chat room over this already, and all project leaders seemed to agree with my action. I only really asked one thing from the people and that was not to distribute this patch with any legal or illegal version of Melty Blood.

I agree with that, yet I still put up that torrent. I even thought about it before I put up that torrent, I was one these people:
TheXev wrote:Some people wondered what would happen if this situation ever occurred, now they know.

Another reason, I think, I put up the torrent was because I remember seeing Langrisser I English Translation for the PC in a torrent. And I subconciously put those two together in a similar category.

l3illyl3ob wrote:I have a feeling they aren't going to be taking down the torrent any time soon

Am I a part of that "they"? Because I'm not an Admin or a Mod. If I am a part of they, please don't include me in there from now on. You seem a little suspicious to me, l3illyl3ob.

I should tell you that I just heard about this today, due to that topic l3illyl3ob was talking about. I should also mention that l3illyl3ob's posts was not the deciding factor.

It would have been unfair to keep that torrent up after someone asked to take it down. And it would have been unfair to people behind the patch and its future development. Sorry once again for the trouble.

Haeleth wrote:An open message to the leechers: it would be nice if you'd consider compensating the authors of these games for their hard work, but if you're determined to pirate them, maybe you'd like to try pirating the originals and applying the patches yourselves. It's hardly tricky, and it might prevent this kind of response from being necessary again.

I like to leave things alone in their original state. And I don't think installing it before-hand would have done anything.

Snover wrote:I also hope that the releaser wises their ass up and stops seeding...

Technically, that's what I did before and today.

DragonNeoReborn wrote:If they really wanted to all they had to do was say an english patch was available here...

That's what I did, all that information was all over the place.

Zero3K (Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 56 pm) wrote:Ugh, the torrent is still going...

Only heard about it today. Kind of wish someone told me earlier like on "that" forum, I would have taken it down immediately.

Lunas wrote:I do agree with the actions taken by revolve. However I dont feel that they should be as angry as they are that it got torrented what they should be mad about is that the unfinished product got torrented. And as for the person who uploaded it the Jack@$$ that he is prolly didnt bother reading any ToS for either melty blood or the patch.

I agree with it too, but I already said that. And I did read the Terms of Service, explained further up. Thanks for that Jack@$$ comment.

Lunas wrote:Further I had not herd of type-moon before I saw the anime and began to research where it came from and the other things that were associated with it.

Same thing with me.

CaptainOverkill wrote:Even if this guy does take down the torrent, it's been up long enough that it's going to keep being redistributed through other channels.

The game was in distribution long before it was put up in the torrent. And I'm not the only person capable of taking down the torrent (Mod or Admin). Which reminds me, I remember reading about someone asking a Tracker to take down a torrent, and it was done. I believe that is another way that the torrent could have been taken down.

new guy wrote:I had never even heard of this game or the patch until now, i'll download it later tonite, does anyone have a link to the torrent ?

Even I have to say, that wasn't very smart.
MrMann

Unread postby Zero3K » August 7th, 2004, 1:41 am

MrMann: Thanks for apologizing :)

Btw, you can register on this forum if you want to.
Zero3K
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby guest » August 7th, 2004, 4:32 am

what the hell, who the hell are you guys anyway ive never even heard of you and whats all the commotion about a crappy translation patch, there are thousands of free translation patches being made everyday.
Go ahead and cancel your project, if that makes you stop whining be my guest , for your patch their will be a hundred others.

and ive never even heard of this game , but now i think ill download it
just to throw it in my file schredder

Unread postby SegNin » August 7th, 2004, 10:07 am

guest wrote:what the hell, who the hell are you guys anyway ive never even heard of you and whats all the commotion about a crappy translation patch, there are thousands of free translation patches being made everyday.
Go ahead and cancel your project, if that makes you stop whining be my guest , for your patch their will be a hundred others.

and ive never even heard of this game , but now i think ill download it
just to throw it in my file schredder

There aren't "thousands of free translation patches being made everyday"
There are only a couple dozen being currently worked on; many of the patches listed at The Whirlpool site are discontinued.

Which is why when a translation group or person is dedicated to completing their translation patch, those of us who benefit from all their hard work need to respect their wishes. Otherwise, they'll lose that dedication...

Actually, I'd never heard of this game either until I read the announcement at the Whirpool. But now, I'm interested in getting this game once the final patch is released (hopefully).
SegNin

Unread postby DragonNeoReborn » August 7th, 2004, 12:27 pm

Wow, looks like this whole fiascoactually ended up with more publicity for Revolve. Thanks for apologizing MrMann, register and if you like Tsukihime like us chat a bit. Well now that is resolved I hope to see a new announcement of Melty Blood starting up again
DragonNeoReborn
Might just like this board

Unread postby Lillymon » August 7th, 2004, 7:06 pm

What the hell? Am I getting you right? You stopped a translation because people did 'naughty stuff' with it? Well I have a suggestion for you then, stop every single translation you're doing. I can guranteee that people will do 'naughty stuff' with every single one of them.

Various video game industries tried to stop people pirating their games, they failed. The RIAA threatened massive fines to anyone caught distributing copyrighted MP3s to try and stop them, they failed. What makes you think you can succeed where these legal giants have failed?
Lillymon

Unread postby Karzon » August 7th, 2004, 8:03 pm

I'm NOT defending the actions of the torrent tormentors, and I DON'T think what they did was right, but I don't see this as accomplishing anything positive. I mean this with no ill will towards anyone involved.

Punishing the majority for the sins of the minority is counterproductive. It's similar to censoring something for the few parents who complain about it, rather than taking responsibility to limit their own children access to it.

Problem one: The people who did download the game and beta patch may probably never see your message at all, having already downloaded the game and probably not interested in looking at the webpage. Or they just don't care, laughing at everyone else who won't get what they have. In other words, you're probably not punishing THEM at all.

Even worse - some of the people who were waiting for the official patch may actually move to download the pirated version from wherever, since they know there is no longer an alternative official place to get it. I won't (If your forum lets you monitor my IP address, do so - I'm not a fan of fighters, and I usually wait at least a month after the final patch to see if there are more bugs to be ironed out) - but you've got some point in my words. What do you think would happen if they took a commercial game that was being rampantly pirated (even in a less-than-final form) off the shelves? Even more people would pirate it. I don't think the facts that the patch is free and the game is not will change this.

Unless of course you want to give your loyal fans incentive to stop the people pirating the game for you. But that's just plain sneaky. :wink:

I hope that a peaceful and satisfactory resolution can eventually be found for everyone involved.
Karzon

Unread postby DragonNeoReborn » August 7th, 2004, 9:37 pm

I guess people just can't understand. It's not the fact that it was up for download... its the fact that the way the torrent was created made it look like revolve made the torrent. There have been many torrents for Melty Blood and Revolve has never complained before. A quick search on google, a doujin irc channel, or even some popular anime torrent sites have had torrents for Melty Blood in the past. The fact is with Revolve's patch and a link to revolves site in the torrents description made it look like Revolve released it... which is not what they want.
For example look at the home page, see where RpgMaker 2003 is.... They recieved a cease of desist order for releasing a translated version of RpgMaker that included the game. Attempting to avoid that their new releases are in the form of patches so you actually have to own the game. Maybe this will clarify why Revolve made such a big deal about the torrent.
DragonNeoReborn

Unread postby hellcatcrimson » August 7th, 2004, 11:25 pm

You guys are being real dicks. Can't you see that you're patch is being used? Who cares if it's in a pirated copy? It's not like they modified your patch, or anything. Screw your ToS. Because of the pirated copies, more people are enjoying your translation. Can't you just live with that?
hellcatcrimson

Unread postby Jinx » August 8th, 2004, 2:52 am

Seems like the link has been removed from that popular torrent site. Hoping you guys will give the green light again to continue translating.
Jinx

Unread postby AznTyrant256 » August 8th, 2004, 5:21 am

well that all depends on xev, and frankly I dont think he should make the patch public anymore given the fact that, that much attention was given just a prilimary match was getting and the amount of free distribution followed by it. I think it will happen again if he gives a green light to the public.
AznTyrant256

originals

Unread postby hiroshi » August 8th, 2004, 5:24 am

I personally would like to know if everyone involved in the project actually owns a copy of Melty Blood. If so, where did they get theirs? I would like to know where to get one, myself. I don't see any links for buying the originals for any of their other projects, I think it would be an important addition if they wish to prevent piracy of games they translate.

Arcturus looks beautiful, too... but the only links they provide are in Korean, unfortunately.
hiroshi

Unread postby zalas » August 8th, 2004, 5:47 am

zalas
Posting more than n00bs

Re: originals

Unread postby Starscream » August 8th, 2004, 1:18 pm

hiroshi wrote:I personally would like to know if everyone involved in the project actually owns a copy of Melty Blood. If so, where did they get theirs? I would like to know where to get one, myself. I don't see any links for buying the originals for any of their other projects, I think it would be an important addition if they wish to prevent piracy of games they translate.

Arcturus looks beautiful, too... but the only links they provide are in Korean, unfortunately.

You can get it from playasia for 14.90 $
http://playasia.com/paOS-14-71-7s-77-p.html
Starscream
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TheXev » August 8th, 2004, 5:39 pm

MrMann, thank you for removing the torrent. If you wish to continue it in some other way, it is beyond me to stop you. Next time I simply ask that the wording of the torrent comments be a bit different, as it may mislead people into thinking Revolve is endorsing the torrent?s distribution.

I will be clarifying the terms of service and hopefully by Monday the website will be prepared to begin redistribution of the patch. It?s safe to say Melty Blood isn?t canceled now, but look for the official news on the website over the next few days.

I guess people just can't understand. It's not the fact that it was up for download... its the fact that the way the torrent was created made it look like revolve made the torrent. There have been many torrents for Melty Blood and Revolve has never complained before. A quick search on google, a doujin irc channel, or even some popular anime torrent sites have had torrents for Melty Blood in the past. The fact is with Revolve's patch and a link to revolves site in the torrents description made it look like Revolve released it... which is not what they want.
For example look at the home page, see where RpgMaker 2003 is.... They recieved a cease of desist order for releasing a translated version of RpgMaker that included the game. Attempting to avoid that their new releases are in the form of patches so you actually have to own the game. Maybe this will clarify why Revolve made such a big deal about the torrent.

It?s my fault for not making that clear on this forum. I?ve had too much on my own mind in real life because of my father being in the hospital, so my mind has hardly been on this entire situation. As I mentioned above, wait for a website update either later today, or Monday (Tuesday at the absolute latest). I?d say this issue will be resolved though.

I?m locking this thread now; it doesn?t require any additional comments.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Previous

Return to Announcements