Kara no Kyoukai has been licensed

Moderator: Staffers

Kara no Kyoukai has been licensed

Unread postby Message » January 28th, 2009, 11:06 am

It has come to our attention that the Kara no Kyoukai novels have been licensed by Del Rey Manga and will be published in 2009. We will therefore no longer be offering our translation of the public chapters of the book. Please do not redistribute our translation from this point on.

Please support the license by buying the official translation when it is released.
Last edited by Message on April 1st, 2009, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 28th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Finally I can read the light novel when I can get the chance now. That's really good news if you ask me Message. Here I thought the movies got licensed already, but all seven weren't released yet on DVD in Japan.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Xanathos » January 28th, 2009, 6:21 pm

As I have personally never heard of Del Rey, I don't have a precedent to go on. So here's hoping for a quality translations.
Xanathos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby AlinSabel » January 28th, 2009, 10:29 pm

They're the ones who are doing Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and xxxHolic. They're not bad - they're far, far above Dr Master.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Xanathos » January 28th, 2009, 11:41 pm

AlinSabel wrote:They're the ones who are doing Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and xxxHolic. They're not bad - they're far, far above Dr Master.

Is Dr. Master those the people translating Tsukihime? Those guys need to be shot.
Xanathos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Atriel » January 28th, 2009, 11:51 pm

What?! Really?!

I could only read what you guys had. I hope they get a good translation... and i have enough cash to import them. And that they export international of course.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby AlinSabel » January 29th, 2009, 12:56 am

Xanathos wrote:
AlinSabel wrote:They're the ones who are doing Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and xxxHolic. They're not bad - they're far, far above Dr Master.

Is Dr. Master those the people translating Tsukihime? Those guys need to be shot.

Yeah, that's them. And it's not just the translation - they left in the Japanese text which wasn't in the bubbles, claiming it would 'preserve the feeling'. So you would have Japanese text in the actual graphics, with the English translation next to it. Screw them, they were just too lazy to do proper cleaning. Not only that, but the paper it was printed on was absolutely appalling.

Atriel wrote:What?! Really?!

I could only read what you guys had. I hope they get a good translation... and i have enough cash to import them. And that they export international of course.

ya rly
Many libraries stock Del Rey releases - if you are unable to find them at your bookstore, you can put in a request to your local council library to buy them. Some of the better bookstores also stock such novels - you'll have to visit the larger 'department store' versions of them, though.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » January 29th, 2009, 1:30 am

Hmmm... Wasn't this "KnK already licensed" kinda old? I remember reading about it here in this forum some months ago.
Too bad its mm translation got taken down. I liked having the option of reading the one at baka-tsuki and the other one here, there were some differences after all.
Anyway, does someone know if the guys at baka-tsuki plan on continuing it or dropping it? They already have more than galf of it, dropping it just doesn't seem quite right (not to me at least).
And one last question: Any info on which version will Del Rey pick (2 volumes or 3 volumes)? I think each of them had different illustrators.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby AlinSabel » January 29th, 2009, 3:38 am

Baka-Tsuki: Kara no Kyoukai Project Page wrote:Due to Del Ray licensing Kara no Kyoukai for English release translation on this project has been dropped. Edited versions of current chapters will be uploaded soon but no more chapters will be translated. Expect to see the first volume released commercially in English sometime mid 2009.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 29th, 2009, 5:57 am

Oh yeah this almost sliped my mind, but can someone post up a link to which site said that this was being lincened and whatnot. Besides I kind of want to see what they will do with this.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby -[J1N]- » January 29th, 2009, 6:32 am

AlinSabel wrote:
Xanathos wrote:

Yeah, that's them. And it's not just the translation - they left in the Japanese text which wasn't in the bubbles, claiming it would 'preserve the feeling'. So you would have Japanese text in the actual graphics, with the English translation next to it. Screw them, they were just too lazy to do proper cleaning. Not only that, but the paper it was printed on was absolutely appalling.

Though the letters do hog quite a large portion of the pages in some cases, I kind of liked having the texts outside the bubbles untranslated. I learned a great portion of words and sound effects in Japanese through the first volume of the Tsukihime manga. Well, in the end its up to the majority to decide if it stays or not, and maybe it was something too different for people to accept.

I don't quite understand what's happening with the KnK novels, but if Del Ray is translating it, I'm all up for it. As long as its not TOKYOPOP that's translating it I'm satisfied enough.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby AlinSabel » January 29th, 2009, 7:17 am

-[J1N]- wrote:Though the letters do hog quite a large portion of the pages in some cases, I kind of liked having the texts outside the bubbles untranslated. I learned a great portion of words and sound effects in Japanese through the first volume of the Tsukihime manga. Well, in the end its up to the majority to decide if it stays or not, and maybe it was something too different for people to accept.

They did not license it to be a learning tool for those studying how to read Japanese. It was licensed to be completely localised into English.
While you may have found the silver lining, it is still a disappointment, particularly so when you compare Dr Master to a scanlation - the latter of which has much higher quality with regards to just the cleaned page (i.e., higher detail, better preservation of grays, etc.).
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Message » January 29th, 2009, 8:51 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:Oh yeah this almost sliped my mind, but can someone post up a link to which site said that this was being lincened and whatnot. Besides I kind of want to see what they will do with this.

There's very little information to be found, but chapter 1 (I think..?) is already available in FAUST volume 1. You can order it from righstuf, for example. I couldn't find information on whether or not Del Rey will publish KnK seperately...

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 29th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Well if they do I will get that series if it's the last thing I'll do, and thanks again Message for letting me know about that as well
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby abscess » January 29th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Message wrote:
Kid-Wolf wrote:Oh yeah this almost sliped my mind, but can someone post up a link to which site said that this was being lincened and whatnot. Besides I kind of want to see what they will do with this.

There's very little information to be found, but chapter 1 (I think..?) is already available in FAUST volume 1. You can order it from righstuf, for example. I couldn't find information on whether or not Del Rey will publish KnK seperately...

Okay, I'm getting scared now..... From the link Message provided, KnK's first chapter seems to be translated and published, but along with other novel's chapters.... Does that mean that Del Rey plan to publish it chapter by chapter and each of them pack them up with other light novel's chaps??!
From a certain point of view it may seem as a nice idea since you would get to know other novels too, but to me is certainly... "offing" to have to get KnK chopped in pieces and shipped along other works of probably dubious quality, not to mention the effin' ugly synopsis it gets by Del Rey!! Am I the only seeing it like that? Any one?... no one...?

Edit: Thanks for the info Alin. Too bad it got dropped though, I actually wanted to compare each translation....
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby AlinSabel » January 29th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Yeah, we all pissed ourselves laughing at the synopsis.
Hopefully they'll release it like that, then sell it - again - in volumes.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby I1nk » January 29th, 2009, 11:52 pm

Great news. Now all we need is an anime release for region 1.
"Night closed night, other night, night pain, night sink, is night/stay night."
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 30th, 2009, 12:31 am

Yeah hopefully that will happen once the seventh DVD has been released and fansubed of course.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Ningyo » January 30th, 2009, 9:38 am

The story will apparently be released in two volumes this year. That's what it says in Faust - you can read it here too:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=83033
Ningyo
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Levethix » January 30th, 2009, 11:41 pm

This is good news.
Levethix
Might just like this board

Return to Announcements