Changes to the forum [2008-06-01]

Moderator: Staffers

Changes to the forum [2008-06-01]

Unread postby TheXev » June 1st, 2008, 9:06 am

Well, it was noticed rather quickly.. but as you can see, most of the general chat forums have been removed. This was a decision reached after a long discussion between staff members. The main reasons for these changes are as follows:

- 'General Chat' threads did not contribute to the type of forum we wished to create.

- 'Tech Chat' was being underutilized. It is obvious this is not a forum that users of these boards want.

- Other internal changes to mod/tester only forums that the public does not have access to. Spring cleaning...

- The forum is becoming too hard for us to administrate and we need to simply the forums to make it easier to carry out this task. We do not intend to elevate more people to mod status.

This compromise was reached between staffers. The compromise was doing this instead of closing the forum.

The forums in general have been becoming a mess for us. You guys have no idea the sort of spam control we've placed in the backbone of the forum software. Also, there will be a few new rules that will be enforced. Message will explain those.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Message » June 1st, 2008, 9:33 am

The following rules have been changed and/or added:

- It is no longer allowed to use images of ANY KIND in your signature.
- It is no longer allowed to use color codes in your signature.
- Signatures should be non-intrusive, meaning that they should not stand out in an annoying way.
- Avatars should be non-intrusive. Annoying animated avatars are NOT allowed.
- The maximum size for signatures is now five lines of text, measured on roughly 1024 pixels screen width.
- The maximum size for avatars is still 100x100 pixels. This means that 100x101 IS NOT ALLOWED. Get it through your skulls already.

Unread postby idontknoW » June 1st, 2008, 12:13 pm

Guess I wasn't the only one who felt that the forum felt out of place in some parts here and there.
Same goes to the huge / long / intrusive signature thing, now it reminds me of the Animesuki Forum rules. It's a good thing anyway cause it's not good to see the same thing looping over and over if the person with the annoying signature replied again and again. (I've seen this in other forums...)

Question though, can't the forum auto-detect if the image you tried to use had a higher pixel size? That would be more efficient than enforcing a rule. Then again, i've never touched forum management software before so... yeah.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Ciel » June 1st, 2008, 2:30 pm

It's possible on the other forum software like smf or vbulletin, but the outdated phpbb v2 software probably can't do that, at least without some sort of mod.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby lolipedofin » June 1st, 2008, 4:19 pm

Wow, this is kind of sudden... i got a bad feeling though when it's suddenly changed.

Sigh... there goes the fun place for this forum... and my bad feeling was right. Not as a strike or anything, but i think i will be around much less since now. I don't really have anything to do at other sub-forum other than having fun at General Chat.

I'll still drop by now and then, maybe at F/SN sub-forum primarily to check on HF and stuffs, but generally i probably will be logging in much less.

Don't think anyone will miss me or anything... :lol: :lol: . It's sad because Most of All the people in this board are fun to hang out with. Again, I'll still be logging in now and then, so don't treat me with a "what're u doing here, shoo! shoo!" greeting, ok.

EDIT: Mmm... i forgot to ask this. I was wondering, are those posts in the now deleted sub-forum still exist somewhere??? Or has it all been deleted?? if it's still exist somewhere, where is the archive stored?? and until when it will still be available to see??
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » June 1st, 2008, 5:57 pm

You are right I understand. Things aren't going to be the same, but well, the staffers have to make themselves the things a little easier too.

Note: Loli I would miss you.
:D

.................thats sounds so weird...
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Chunky-MonkeyLOL » June 1st, 2008, 10:16 pm

I knew all you young'ns be screwin' up mah mirror moon forums! Bah, back in mah day we didn't have no colour coordination or insert pictures. Naw, back in mah day we had to copy pasta links into our browser to visit em!

But yeah, all the overly large sigs/avys were starting to get on my nerves. Although may I ask, why not allow colour in our sigs? I don't necessarily care but, I'm just curious.

On a side note: Shame that you all had to shut down the general folders. TBQH those were the only reason I came here since the FSN/Tsu boards are kinda dull. Still, ya'll are paying for this forum, not me, so I have no right to bitch about it.
KILL! MAIM! BURN! - Kharn the Betrayer
Chunky-MonkeyLOL
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Ciel » June 1st, 2008, 10:32 pm

But yeah, all the overly large sigs/avys were starting to get on my nerves.
That's what adblock is for. :P
I had quite a bit of those blocked.

As for colors, i guess it's because those can also count as distracting annoyance, especially stuff like bright yellow.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 1st, 2008, 11:06 pm

Wow... that was quite an unexpected thing to happen...
I may not be hanging too much around here with those sub-forums now gone. I don't get it why people want to have those overly-flashy sigs but I don't understand either why not let them have 'em. Anyway, perhaps it's for the best.

Too bad for the off-topic forums.... I actually had some dicussions that I wanted to continue over there....
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby nobaka » June 2nd, 2008, 1:12 am

abscess wrote:Wow... that was quite an unexpected thing to happen...
I may not be hanging too much around here with those sub-forums now gone. I don't get it why people want to have those overly-flashy sigs but I don't understand either why not let them have 'em. Anyway, perhaps it's for the best.

Too bad for the off-topic forums.... I actually had some dicussions that I wanted to continue over there....

Seconded. I had some real interest in the games forums.

If it's mainly about spam control and staying on topic, perhaps forum mods would work?
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » June 2nd, 2008, 1:38 am

nobaka wrote:
abscess wrote:Wow... that was quite an unexpected thing to happen...

Seconded. I had some real interest in the games forums.

If it's mainly about spam control and staying on topic, perhaps forum mods would work?

I read somewhere they aren't intereseted in promoting more people to admin/mod status so.... that's not gonna happen, at least not any time soon...
They could have left at least the general one.... I miss it :(
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Raven » June 2nd, 2008, 3:48 am

that's a little sad. I love following the anime and general Japanese entertainment discussion on the General Chat forum. I think they were fun and informative, given our nature don't you feel that was appropriated? :wink:
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » June 2nd, 2008, 5:13 am

I liked the forum's relatively slow pace before the new users started coming in, but I didn't dislike all the newer members either. I don't quite know what you guys were expecting in the "General" section of the forum, but it's sad to see it didn't work for you guys. I hope a lot of you guys leaving will still visit occasionally; it was fun having you guys.

I'm guessing what you guys were looking for was more TM chat, so let's hope we can achieve that.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Enigma » June 2nd, 2008, 6:45 am

-[J1N]- wrote:I liked the forum's relatively slow pace before the new users started coming in, but I didn't dislike all the newer members either. I don't quite know what you guys were expecting in the "General" section of the forum, but it's sad to see it didn't work for you guys. I hope a lot of you guys leaving will still visit occasionally; it was fun having you guys.

I'm guessing what you guys were looking for was more TM chat, so let's hope we can achieve that.

What amazes me is the newer members with ridiculous amount of posts. An example would be Abcess; joined about a month and a half ago, with 195 posts...
Enigma
Addict

Unread postby Raitei » June 2nd, 2008, 8:02 am

Enigma wrote:What amazes me is the newer members with ridiculous amount of posts. An example would be Abcess; joined about a month and a half ago, with 195 posts...
yes, you can also refer to me about this, but that would be...irrelevant. as someone has told me in this board,
"Postcount is merely a technical matter, doesn't have anything to do with the person. It's your posts you should be thinking about, not some number that is entirely inpersonal."

ps : I have nothing against anyone by saying this, so I'm saying sorry if this post of mine somehow offended anyone beforehand.
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby Enigma » June 2nd, 2008, 9:46 am

Raitei wrote:yes, you can also refer to me about this, but that would be...irrelevant. as someone has told me in this board,
"Postcount is merely a technical matter, doesn't have anything to do with the person. It's your posts you should be thinking about, not some number that is entirely inpersonal."

ps : I have nothing against anyone by saying this, so I'm saying sorry if this post of mine somehow offended anyone beforehand.

It amazes me because I'm typically a quiet person; post all you want. I would rather watch someone do something than to do it myself; although this is based on how strongly I feel about the subject.

P.S. You could say anything about me and I wouldn't get offended, speak your mind; I'm rather interested in other peoples perspectives.
Enigma
Addict

Unread postby Balcerzak » June 2nd, 2008, 12:36 pm

Huh, I had no idea there were other forums that got closed down. I only ever tended to visit the project subforums, personally. This forum is supposed to be about mirror moon, if you want general random chatter, why are you here instead of countless other places on the web? I guess in short, I fully support the decision.
Balcerzak
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Miraploy » June 2nd, 2008, 12:42 pm

Enigma wrote:What amazes me is the newer members with ridiculous amount of posts. An example would be Abcess; joined about a month and a half ago, with 195 posts...

Not at all ridiculous. He participated in a lot of interesting discussions.

Anyway, I think mirror moon's decision here is a wise one. More focus on the core issues please :D
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby ayadew » June 2nd, 2008, 3:55 pm

I suppose we can keep our bullshit to the irc channel, and that the general forum's main use was generating post count for people who were interested in that.
I did like it though, there were some useful threads.. like VN recommendations and discussions in general, silly things like haagen dazs and such. You could just have us report threads that breaks your rules in some effective way, pressing a button at the post which many forums have, to relieve work on your moderators. But I guess you have discussed that also.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » June 2nd, 2008, 8:45 pm

I liked the game chat and general since in the game chat there were some threads that I visited from time to time (VN recommendetions for example) and in general there was almost just joking (something I enjoy) and general information that I enjoyed reading, such as japanese language. I knew just now that there was an MM IRC channel because ayadew mentioned it and I have never been there myself.

On my "amazing posting number", I AM amazed myself at how big that number grew in such a short time. This is in fact the first forum I visit periodically and post on almost anything that takes my interest. I did post from time to time just jokes to try to have simple laugh and commented on something to try to make a discussion out of it (not a fight but a constructive discussion) or just to make a small comment on something. As Raitei already said, that number is just a number, I don't think that will earn me some e-points or something of that sort that will make me "stand out" in any form.

The reason why I may not be coming (perhaps not posting much but still visiting) as often as before here is because, with those forums closed, there isn't such movement on the Tsukihime and melty forums, although I enjoyed the discussions I took part in, they seem to have gotten a bit cold now... The fan-fiction section, although I personally like it, isn't one that is very popular and, from what I've seen, tends to pass the time without almost any changes. And since I haven't played F/SN at ALL I rarely visit that section trying not to spoil anything of the story.

IF they SOMEHOW choose to re-open off-topic chats perhaps there would only be needed a general chat, since gaming other than VNs, comments on news, sports, trivias, traveling, anime, etc. etc, even tech stuff could fit inside it. But I'm no mod or admin or anything anywhere so I don't have a clue of what has to be done in order for it to happen and for it not turn into crap.

Well.... this started to seem like a childish rant.... sorry about that. The MM staff isn't forced to stand with this problems and actually do it because they want to support a community (or at least that's what it seems to me), so I congratulate them on their fine hard-work and cheer on 'em. With that said, I bid "'till later, mates!".

P.S: I'll miss Mr. lolipedofin's strange comments :(
abscess

Next

Return to Announcements